5 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 1:58 PM by ahe

Deploying MSP Updates

Dave.Ballard Rookie

Adobe just recently released an update to Adobe Acrobat Reader 9.1.  The update was released as an MSP file instead of an MSI file.  How can I deploy this via LANDesk as it works with MSI's instead of MSP's?

• 1. Re: Deploying MSP Updates
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

There are a couple of ways to do this:

If you have Security and Patch Manager you can apply the patch to those that are at v9.1.0, earlier versions will need to be brought up to this version and then patched.

To use Software Dist. I did this, and it worked:

If you do not already have the "AcroRead.msi" file and "Data1.cab" files extracted, install AdbeRdr9.1.0_en_US.exe on a test box and in the "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Setup Files" folder (mine was in a subfolder of that) you will find the .msi and .cab files.  Copy them to a new folder called c:\reader (or whatever you want to call it)

You can find AdbeRdr9.1.0_en_US.exe in your ldlogon\patch folder on your core.

Now, copy AdbeRdrUpd911_all_incr.msp from your patch folder to c:\reader on your test box

From a command prompt, navigate to c:\reader

now type in:  msiexec /a AcroRead.msi /p AdbeRdrUpd911_all_incr.msp

Hit enter

When I did this, I got some GUI asking for a path for the "network installation" I pointed to a temp folder and clicked ok.

In the end, my "AcroRead.msi" had a new date, and it was "patched".  I then ignored the temp network folders and copied over the fresh new AcroRead.msi and Data1.cab files from c:\reader to my DFS and was able to install using this .msi with the data1.cab as an additional file.

I am testing some other ways of doing this via a batch file if your clients are already at 9.1.0, If I get it working I will post.  This method should still work, but will likely remove the current version and re-install instead of just patching

• 2. Re: Deploying MSP Updates
            Dave.Ballard Rookie

I tried creating the new installation package and that sitll failed.  I'll try and get it to deploy via the security and patch manager.

• 3. Re: Deploying MSP Updates
              mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Dave,

What part failed?  After you created the new .msi, try installing it manually on a system and see what happens.

Also, you need to list the date1.cab file as an additional file in your package.

When you are done, be sure to reset the hash on the package as well

• 4. Re: Deploying MSP Updates
                Dave.Ballard Rookie

Using the Security and Patch Manager worked.

As for the errors, when I ran the installer manually, it worked.  Through the scheduled task, it would fail to download all files.  I did include the data.cab file, but yet it still failed.  I also reset the hash and no luck.  At least it is working through the Security and Patch Manager.

Thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: Deploying MSP Updates
                  ahe Expert

Hello dave,

instead of patching the MSI as James described (in appdeploy.com forum some user have the same problem as you said), you can add a entry in setup.ini.

The document Create Adobe Reader 8.1.5 packagedescribed it for version 8, but it works for version 9 too.

. . .

[Product]
                  msi=AcroRead.msi

CmdLine=TRANSFORMS="AcroRead.mst"

PATCH=AdbeRdrUpd911_all_incr.msp

. . .

Regards

Axel