3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 2:55 AM by phoffmann

I need to find which machines have an SSD in LD

rickorhino Apprentice

Looking to see how I can find which machines have an SSD so we can plan hardware replacements.

• 1. Re: I need to find which machines have an SSD in LD
          rdavidson SupportEmployee

Hi,

Currently there isn't a flag in LDMS to get this.

You could use a combination of a powershell script and custom data to populate this. The powershell command below returns the media type for each drive:

(get-physicaldisk).MediaType

This can be modified to also provide the drive name or letter as well, and then store that in a WMI class that you can add to custom data. Then the inventory scanner will pick it up and put it where you desire.

It would also be a good feature request, which you can log here

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I need to find which machines have an SSD in LD
            rickorhino Apprentice

WMI Class.JPG

First time building one of these. Will this work?

• 3. Re: I need to find which machines have an SSD in LD
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

No reason why it shouldn't - assuming you've got your WMI path set correctly. (I suggest using a WMI browser for that).

But yeah - custom data is a good way to try to get ahold of it ...

Hmmm ... it may get a bit tricky, since HDD information is usually 1:* (one to many) and that'd usually require modelled DB tables / columns though ... I'd suggest playing with this on a dev Core first (after making a snapshot), so that you don't run into any risk of unintentionally messing up DB side of things. Hmmm ...

A custom vulnerability may be a different alternative (where you could have a "vulnerable" reason of "C:\ is an SSD" / "D:\ is NOT an SSD") for instance.

The script would essentially look at WMI on the machine & fashion the "vulnerable - yes/no and why / why not" based on that. Just because it's called "patch manager" doesn't mean you can't abuse it in weird & wonderful ways for reporting .