4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 9:19 PM by DCaste

how to set Owner field empty by default for new user

AHeged Rookie

Because Owner field is a very sensitive field from security point of view, I want to set it by default as an empty field.

Being a mandatory field and because of Lookup.ini file it has to be populated with a value depending of region.

How to set this field to be empty and when a user creates a new record to be forced to populate it with required value?

By default all new records are completely curtained.

• 1. Re: how to set Owner field empty by default for new user
          ralph.copley SupportEmployee

AHeged

You can not set the ownership field to a default of "empty" as this is a reserved for GoldMine to indicate the record is actually "Public" and thus anyone will see it.   Instead you have to assign either a user group or user id to be the owner of the record.   The simplest way to control this is when you create a new user, setup a defined ownership value.   On the GoldMine user id's Profile tab there is a "Ownership" button, click on this while creating the user initially.

From there you can set who owns the record this user creates.

Ralph

• 2. Re: how to set Owner field empty by default for new user
            AHeged Rookie

Hi Ralph,

In general you are right, but....

The problem I have to face and get a solution is:

- each county has defined an owner group. For database security reasons.

- sales people are members of more than one owner groups, being responsible for 3-4 counties (states)

- by Lookup.ini file I have defined rules to define ownership based on County (State), ownership which is a mandatory field.

- by default new records are Complete curtained;

- if I set-up a certain owner for new records of a User, it could be different from real ownership (other state) and the field being automatically populated Goldmine will not ask for correct owner based on Lookup.ini. And this will lead to a big mess in database.

This is why I want to have this field empty and force Users to select correct Ownership.

• 3. Re: how to set Owner field empty by default for new user
              ralph.copley SupportEmployee

AHeged

As I mentioned in my first note, the owner field is all ready blank when the record is created, to GoldMine however this equals a value of "Public"  so no security is applied.   Thus anyone and everyone can and will see the record until the field is changed from a blank value.  In the case as you have described the solution might be to have a automated process assign ownership that attaches / fires off the moment the record is created.

You can find more information on using an automated process in the GoldMine Admin Guide.

• 4. Re: how to set Owner field empty by default for new user
                DCaste Rookie

An SQL trigger might also be helpful, though you have to be careful updating GoldMine's tables directly in SQL as there are plenty of rules and special values that need to be accounted for. 

There are, of course, tools (and consultants) that can help with that sort of thing (shameless plug)