7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2017 3:53 AM by AlasdairRobertson

License Usage Report for concurrent users

ggarcia@marchofdimes.org Apprentice

We have only been live for a few days on HEAT SM and are looking into our license usage report.

Is there way to identify precisely how many licenses are being consumed currently?

Would it be correct to assume that the license usage report is the total number of licenses used in a day?

So far today we've had 14 analysts log into the system, yet our license usage report indicates 26 concurrent licenses - any thoughts why that might be?

• 1. Re: License Usage Report for concurrent users
          florian1 Expert

The LicenseUsage report counts all open sessions as long as they didn't expire, based on your tenant's session timeout.

That is HEAT's perceived amount of "active" users. And yes, the report is supposed to be "per hour" (including sessions from users who just closed the browser).

I don't think this is helpful at all since this is a browser-based application and most of the users just close the browser instead of manually logging out.

To have an overview of your currently logged in users (=active licenses) I would rather use a query like this:

;WITH cte AS(
          select userid, LastRequestTime, Role, ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY UserId ORDER BY LastRequestTime DESC) 'rn', logon.NamedLicensed
          from Frs_ops_logon_history logon
          JOIN Frs_ops_session_secondary_key session ON logon.SessionId = session.SessionId
          WHERE LastRequestTime >= cast(GETUTCDATE() as date)
          AND (logon.LogoutTime is null or logon.LogoutTime > GETUTCDATE())
          )
          SELECT * FROM cte
          WHERE rn = 1

.. with session timeout:

DECLARE @sessionTimeout as int;
          SELECT @sessionTimeout = SessionTimeOut from dbo.TenantSetting;   

;WITH cte AS(
          select userid, LastRequestTime, Role, ROW_NUMBER() OVER(PARTITION BY UserId ORDER BY LastRequestTime DESC) 'rn', logon.NamedLicensed
          from Frs_ops_logon_history logon
          JOIN Frs_ops_session_secondary_key session ON logon.SessionId = session.SessionId
          WHERE LastRequestTime >= cast(GETUTCDATE() as date)
          AND (logon.LogoutTime is null or logon.LogoutTime > GETUTCDATE())
          and logon.LastRequestTime > DATEADD(minute, [email protected], GETUTCDATE())
          ) 
          SELECT * FROM cte
          WHERE rn = 1

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: License Usage Report for concurrent users

Thanks Florian!

The part that has me concerned is that our license usage report indicated that yesterday we had 26 concurrent licenses used yet we only had about 14 users log into the system the entire day.  So I'm wondering if the concurrent licenses count each role a user transitions to, and how it handles users that login from various devices such as mobile phones, etc.  Any idea how strict HEAT/Ivanti is with these license counts and what happens when you hit your cap?

• 3. Re: License Usage Report for concurrent users
              florian1 Expert

As far as I know the license limit is currently only a soft limit if you are on-premise. I don't know how it works in SaaS, but it should be the same.

It will log possible license violations in the License Manager console but still allow your users to work.

Here's an excerpt how HEAT describes it:

When a user logs out, the system considers this an explicit logout. If a user does not log out, but simply closes the browser window, eventually they time out. If a user logs in again before the timeout occurs, the user consumes another license. In other words, the system shows this user as using multiple licenses (for each log-in session) simultaneously. The system tracks the user IP address of the internet gateway; Ivanti Service Manager cannot determine multiple log-in sessions using the user IP address.

If a user opens a new browser window and logs in, they consume another session. If a user opens a new browser tab, they share the same session.

There is great room for improvement - it shouldn't count one user twice when he's effectively only using one license.

That's why I'm using a custom query to get some "real world" numbers.

Cheers

Florian

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: License Usage Report for concurrent users
                AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

Another thing to consider is to reduce the timeout window, I understand the ISM license count logging to be based around a 2 hour window.  we usually set user timeouts at the 1 hour 50 mark so the sessions timeout under the reporting window timeout.  Yes there will be overlap on a couple of users but its better than the ootb settings and reduces the duplicate sessions.

1. Admin UI

2. Configure > Security Controls > Security and Session

3. set the timeout to 110 minutes.

ootb timeout settings...eeek.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: License Usage Report for concurrent users

Hi Alasdair, 110/120 minutes seems like an awfully long timeout period.  I'm thinking we'd be better off with 15-20 minutes.  Is there any reason you didn't make a more dramatic reduction in your timeout period?

• 6. Re: License Usage Report for concurrent users
                    TomTheiler Apprentice

You can go for a 20 minutes timeout, but the acceptance of your staff will decrease. At least this is the experience in my company. We have set the timeout to 58 minutes.

• 7. Re: License Usage Report for concurrent users
                      AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

[email protected] as TomTheiler has mentioned users tend to get annoyed having to login even if it is single sign on.  The reason for the values I picked was to make it work for the licensing system whilst having users who don't have to login every few minutes.  Remember that the licensing currently is not a hard block so if another concurrent user needs access they can connect, typically its only if Ivanti see repeated license over usage would you be asked to procure more licenses.