3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2017 1:00 PM by CHendr

Restricting Service Request Offerings Based on Role

CHendr Rookie

Good Afternoon,

I am wondering if it is possible to restrict a user from having the ability to submit a particular service request based on the type of role that they have? The intention is that a self service user not have the ability to submit a particular SR on their own via the service catalog, however, one of our Service Desk Analysts should have the ability to submit one on their behalf if they were to call in and request it.

We have implemented a restriction based on role under the "Publish Action Access" tab - which works to hide the request from the users service catalog (as desired).   However, when our SDA's try to submit a Service Request with the same person's name in the "customer" field the particular request offering is hidden from them as well - due to that customer not having the needed role.  Has anyone implemented a similar restriction or aware of a fix for this?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Restricting Service Request Offerings Based on Role
          SupportEmployee

One method seen is to establish logic in the offering that allows the submitting user to denote if the request is for them or not.

You can then use the fulfillment workflow to pass those values to fields in the request offering, if need be. KB 16249 is a bit older, but shows how to move parameter data into the actual ServiceReq object to change the Contact for the SR.

You may not need to go that far if you can define other actions needed for that user using the existing parameter values, like creating tasks. So the offering would still be owned by the user that created it, but the information would be denoted for the other user in the actual request parameters.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Restricting Service Request Offerings Based on Role
            dcogny Expert

Hi,

Try to check the "User Logged In user access rights" check mark.

It appears on the right of the Service Request Selection when viewing it as an Analyst and it is supposed to show the requests that the analyst have access to, but the customer don't. It works for us (HEAT 2016.1.1)

Let me know if you need further clarification or example.

Daniel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Restricting Service Request Offerings Based on Role
              CHendr Rookie

Wow... I can't believe this was right under my nose.  It's exactly what I was looking for.  Have made 40 different offerings and never knew this was here. Thank a million!