8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2017 9:17 AM by kmwhiten

.Net 3.5 Framework Windows 10 install

kmwhiten Apprentice

I am trying to install the .Net Framework 3.5 remotely to Windows 10. Does anyone have an idea? I tried to use a custom script using the DISM command but I get the status saying completed, but the feature did not install.

• 1. Re: .Net 3.5 Framework Windows 10 install
          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

To do this you need to get the microsoft-windows-netfx3-ondemand-package.cab file from the install media.

The way I've had the installation working is to setup a Windows Actions package. I add this file as an additional file so it gets downloaded to the client.

The action I setup is an 'Launch an Execute file action with the parameter:

/online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:`"%programfiles(x86)%\landesk\ldclient\sdmcache\packages\win10dotnet35`" /LimitAccess

Note in this example I called the package 'win10dotnet35' so that would be the local directory the .cab file would be downloaded to. Also I am assuming the target machine are x64 so specifying the x86 directories.

Also note the extra ' characters as these allow the passing of the " symbols in powershell.

This has worked pretty well for me in the past.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://ivantione.marxtar.com

Ivanti One Development Partner

Try MarXtar State Management for Ivanti to Better Understand and Manage your Assets

• 2. Re: .Net 3.5 Framework Windows 10 install
            kmwhiten Apprentice

What do I do for the executable? Just dism.exe or do I need to do the full path for dism?

• 3. Re: .Net 3.5 Framework Windows 10 install
              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Sorry - I edited and must have accidentally removed that. Yes, just dism.exe as the file , no path required.

Mark McGinn

Try MarXtar State Management for Ivanti to Better Understand and Manage your Assets

• 4. Re: .Net 3.5 Framework Windows 10 install
                kmwhiten Apprentice

I get the task saying successful, but when I check under Control Panel, the feature is not checked. The account that it is running under is LocalSystem account. Anything else?

• 5. Re: .Net 3.5 Framework Windows 10 install
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Take Endpoint Manager out of the equation to start with.  On your tst client, make sure the cab file has been downloaded and from an elevated command prompt try using the command and parameters i gave you.

You will need to take the ' characters out as they are only to be used in powershell. First make sure the comand actually works before trying to put it into the product for remote delivery.

Mark McGinn

• 6. Re: .Net 3.5 Framework Windows 10 install
                    kmwhiten Apprentice

I did the following commands

Ran cmd as admin

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:"%programfiles(x86)%\landesk\ldclient\sdmcache\CTS\packages\win10dotnet35" /LimitAccess

Works just fine on the client.

I did notice that the first ` is in front of the " but at the end the ` is before the last "

Should it be

/online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:`"%programfiles(x86)%\landesk\ldclient\sdmcache\CTS\packages\win10dotnet35`" /LimitAccess

or

/online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:`"%programfiles(x86)%\landesk\ldclient\sdmcache\CTS\packages\win10dotnet35"` /LimitAccess

Sorry, I feel like a noob right now.

• 7. Re: .Net 3.5 Framework Windows 10 install
                      MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

OK, if it is working fine on the client then now you can work on getting it to work in the tool.

The ' definitely needs to be before " each time as that is telling powershell to use the " symbol.

Also, try setting your architecture to use 64bit as that will affect dism.

There's more than one way to achieve this now you have a working command line so just find a way you are happy with that makes it work.

Mark McGinn

• 8. Re: .Net 3.5 Framework Windows 10 install
                        kmwhiten Apprentice

The 64bit architecture worked. Thank you again for your help.