10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2017 11:19 PM by Peter Massa

Blocking Google Extension

BryanNg Apprentice

Hi All,

Would like to know is it possible to block google extension using the LDMS or LDSS suite?

• 1. Re: Blocking Google Extension
          Peter Massa Expert

Hey BryanNg,

We block many Chrome Extensions via LDMS.

We create a Custom Definition with-in patch management that has a Detection Logic -> Custom Script like this:

EXTERNAL APPLICATION
          exe=powershell.exe
          args=-executionpolicy bypass %filename%
          filename=detect.ps1

echo off
          if (Test-Path -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome) {

} else {
          New-Item -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies -Name Google –Force
          New-Item -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google -Name Chrome –Force
          }
          New-Item -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome -Name ExtensionInstallBlacklist –Force
          New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome\ExtensionInstallBlacklist -Name 1 -Value "example1hngddnoookogelabohpgabc" –Force

New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome\ExtensionInstallBlacklist -Name 2 -Value "example2hngddnoookogelabohpgabc" –Force

echo "detected=false"

echo "found=ExtensionInstallBlacklist settings applied"

Then you configure what systems you want to scan/block this via the Scan tab of the definition.

Then any system that is a part of the scope you choose to scan against that runs a vulscan will add this setting to the system and block the extensions that you put the GUIDs in for.

You could also create a powershell / batch script to do this and push the settings out.  We choose to do it via patch so that it is easily updated and centrally managed.

Hope this helps,

Peter

• 2. Re: Blocking Google Extension
            BryanNg Apprentice

Hi Peter,

Thanks for information. Glad to know there's way to solve it. Is there any documentation guide for me to learn? I kinda have some hard time doing the scripting.

• 3. Re: Blocking Google Extension
              Peter Massa Expert

For this specific task you would have to learn about three items:

1. Chrome Policies: Set Chrome policies for devices - Chrome for business and education Help

2. PowerShell: Using Windows PowerShell | Microsoft Docs

3. Ivanti Custom Definitions: Create custom security definitions

The script I provided above covers items 1 and 2 already.  You just need to get your extension guids you want to block and add them into the script in place of the "example1hngddnoookogelabohpgabc" examples.  For each one you do - it needs to have a unique number as the name: -Name 1,  -Name 2, -Name 3, etc.

Hope this helps,

Peter

• 4. Re: Blocking Google Extension
                BryanNg Apprentice

Hi Peter,

I tried to use your script and change inserted the GUIDS in, but did not block the extension and stated not detect on the Security and Patch information.

• 5. Re: Blocking Google Extension
                  Peter Massa Expert

Hey Bryan,

Can you post your script here.  I will check to see what may not be working.

Thanks,

Peter

• 6. Re: Blocking Google Extension
                    BryanNg Apprentice

Hi Peter,

Here are the script i tested:

EXTERNAL APPLICATION

exe=powershell.exe

args=-executionpolicy bypass %filename%

filename=detect.ps1

echo off

if (Test-Path -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome) {

} else {

New-Item -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies -Name Google –Force

New-Item -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google -Name Chrome –Force

}

New-Item -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome -Name ExtensionInstallBlacklist –Force

New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome\ExtensionInstallBlacklist -Name 1 -Value "niloccemoadcdkdjlinkgdfekeahmflj" –Force

New-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome\ExtensionInstallBlacklist -Name 2 -Value "iolcbmjhmpdheggkocibajddahbeiglb" –Force

echo "detected=false"

echo "found=ExtensionInstallBlacklist settings applied"

• 7. Re: Blocking Google Extension
                      Peter Massa Expert

That looks correct to me.

Are you deploying regular Chrome or Chrome Enterprise?  I am wondering if it works for us because we deployed Chrome Enterprise to everyone which lets you configure this stuff.

Can you look on a system in the registry and see those keys are now added?

HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome\ExtensionInstallBlacklist -Name 1 -Value "niloccemoadcdkdjlinkgdfekeahmflj"

HKLM:\Software\Policies\Google\Chrome\ExtensionInstallBlacklist -Name 2 -Value "iolcbmjhmpdheggkocibajddahbeiglb"

Peter

• 8. Re: Blocking Google Extension
                        Peter Massa Expert

If you are using Chrome Standard - instead of Enterprise - you can use Patch Manager to update your Chrome installs to the Enterprise version.

If you do not want to do that - your other option if you have security suite is to use EPS to block the file location similar to how Symantec handles it but using landesk's file blocking tools:

https://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/block-specific-chrome-browser-extensions-sep-application-device-control-policy

Peter

• 9. Re: Blocking Google Extension
                          BryanNg Apprentice

Hi Peter,

I'm using the Standard Chrome right now to test. Is it the reason that it wont block? I tried to manually run the script and it appear in the registry but it still wont block the extension

• 10. Re: Blocking Google Extension
                            Peter Massa Expert

I believe that is correct.  The policies that you can set for Chrome I believe are only available for the Enterprise MSI install - which is what we are setting here.

Peter