11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2017 3:39 PM by WARRIOR

AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE

WARRIOR Apprentice

In order to cut down on the cost of Microsoft Office licensing, we have created "N" email accounts for supporting specific areas in our organization. For the purpose of this conversation, let's name the support email addresses as follows:

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

:

:

[email protected]

Our organization support structure is also broken into "N" number of groups who support unique areas of our organization. For the purpose of this discussion, let's name these group as follows:

Group1

Group2

Group3

Group4

Group5

:

:

GroupN

In ivanti service manager, we have created suppoort croups for each group mentioned above. We have also created one email account that is monitored by ISM. For the purpose of this conversation let's name this account: [email protected].

All the support email accounts ([email protected] to [email protected] ) have message rerout rules configured so that all messages are rerouted (to maintain the "From:", and the "To:" field values, as upposed to forward rules that overwrites them) to [email protected] for incident creation in ivanti service manager.

We would like ivanti service manager to look at the recipient of the message (or the To: field) and route the the incident to the corresponding group. For example:

if the To: field contatins:  [email protected],  then rout the incident to GROUP1

if the To: field contatins:  [email protected][email protected],  then rout the incident to GROUP2

if the To: field contatins:  [email protected][email protected],  then rout the incident to GROUP3

if the To: field contatins:  [email protected][email protected],  then rout the incident to GROUP4

if the To: field contatins:  [email protected][email protected],  then rout the incident to GROUP5

:

:

if the To: field contatins:  [email protected][email protected],  then rout the incident to GROUPN

A member of the ivanti professional service tean told us that this is could be implemented, but never said how.

Could someone please help?

• 1. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
          dcogny Expert

Hi,

First I would create a field called "SupportEmail" on the Incident, then I will push the To: from the Email to the Incident on linking:

And then I would add an Initialization rule for the "OwnerTeam' field (I use the "ToLowerCase" so I make sure there are no mistakes, is up to you):

Thank should do it, let me know if you have any issue.

Daniel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
            WARRIOR Apprentice

Daniel,

Your direction was very helpful. Thank you very much.

When creating the relationship, I could not find the "IncidentContainsJornalEmail" option. Instead I selected the "Jornal.Email" option. When selected, the name of the relationship was "InsidentAssociatedJornalEmail". I changed this to "IncidentContainsJornalEmail"

i still have one problem. It seems this configuration is ignored. All incidents created from emails still get assigned only to the "Service Desk" Team. Though I am new in all of this, but I am guessing it may be due to one of two reasons:

1) The configuration may be ignored entirely or

2) The "To" address may not have been passed.

I am thinking scenario (1) may be the case as changed the diffult else statement to another team ("Group 1", or "Group 2") and entirely eliminated the "Service Desk" team from my code, and still all incidents were routed to the "Service Desk" team.

ownerteam.PNG

I am wandering if the email configuration setting has anything to do with this issue. Please see my email configuration below:

emailSetting.png

• 3. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
              dcogny Expert

Hi,

First, I do not think there is much difference between "Associated" and "Contains", I am not sure, but I think that the only difference is that if the relationship is "Contains" when you remove the Parent, the Child gets deleted too, while if it is "Associated" deleting the parent does not delete the child, but I can be wrong on that (Anyway, you have to manually change the name to "IncidentContainsJournalEmail" AND change the radio button: ).

The problem I have is that my Email Listener setup is different (own configuration), so I am a bit lost on the standard one, but I am going to guess that the Incident gets created (so the "OwnerTeam" gets initialized) the first thing of all and then the email gets linked, but it is too late because the field was already initialized, so nothing happens.

Try to delete the Initialization rule, and instead use an "Editing Rule", so when the "SupportEmail" field changes (because the Incident gets linked to the Email) the system makes the calculation and changes the Team:

I think that can be the issue, but I was reviewing your screenshots and found a mistake too, I would start by this:

• I used "ToLowerCase" in my rule, because it converts the passed text to lower case, so you are sure that there is no misunderstanding due to capitals in wrong places, I am not sure if when comparing two strings HEAT is case sensitive or not, but I prefer to be safe.
              • In your case you are comparing an all lower case string to "[email protected]" with several capitals.
              • Make sure to use "[email protected]" to make sure that there is no "Case sensitive" issues.

Keep me posted!

Daniel.

• 4. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
                WARRIOR Apprentice

Hi Daniel,

Your answers combined resolved my problem. Thank you very much. I tried to mark both of them as correct, but the system blocked me from marking your second entry as an answer along with the first.

The entire team and I deffinitely appreciate your help.

• 5. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
                  dcogny Expert

My pleasure!

Anything else you know where to find me!

• 6. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
                    WARRIOR Apprentice

Hi Daniel,

I am still trying to understand how the ivanti community works. I created another posting and tried to share it with you, but the community returned an error message that I could not share with you because I am following you, but you are not following me. But here are my recent postings:

Block From Creating Incident With Messages From Specific Email Addresses Or Domain

Create A Group Pick List And Use It To Filter The Team Pick List In An Incident

Quantifying Incident Impact Without Altering Project Impact

• 7. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
                      dcogny Expert

Hi Warrior,

Me neither, I have no idea of how it works, I accepted you connection request, you would assume that creates a connection between us, but does not seems so... I just started following you, most likely we will be able to message soon

I already had the first one open to read, I will give a look to the others too!

Daniel.

• 8. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
                        WARRIOR Apprentice

A new problem emanated from this solution. It turned out that the support email is updated irrationally, and sometinmes in the middle of the email message sent to the team supervisor. As a result of this, the support email direction does not work well, and most incidents end up in the catch all "else" statement.

• 9. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
                          WARRIOR Apprentice

I reverted back to having to pay for multiple licensed email accounts, but yet another problem ensued: I am only able to set the team for each email listener configuration. this creates a problem with the grouping. In our environment, we have added compulsery grouping so that when a group is selected, it filters the team which is also a required field.

Because each team for the corresponding email listener differes from the others, ISM confuses the grouping.

I am going to modify the email listener business boject and add a grouping validation list to see if this resolves my new issue. I keep you posted.

• 10. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
                            WARRIOR Apprentice

I modified the listener business object and form by adding a group pick list associated with groups created prior, but ran into another problem. the environment will NOT associate the groups select with the teams selected. When emails are sent, it errors out, and incidents are not created. The error messages are seen on the logs as "<selected team name> is not a member of the "<pick list name>". The confusing thing is that some incidents are created out of some email messages. I will reasearch this selective obedience further.

• 11. Re: AUTOMATICALLY ASSIGNING  NEW INCEDENTS GENERATED FROM EMAIL MESSAGE
                              WARRIOR Apprentice

Ah! FINALLY!!!

It took expressing the last problem for me to get the answer. The selectives obedience expressed above was as a result of a default support team. Whenever the messages were sent or routed to that team, the group seemed to be working fine. Only the first team setup with the original listener seemed to work, though all teams got passed back to the incident, their groups just were not recognized. So I reversed all the changes made above, and below is the working implementation:

1. Implement a separate listener per email account
                              2. In (1) above, select unique team names for each listener implementation
                              3. Then I implemented code to ensure that when emails are being processed, the OwnerTeam is retained
                              4. Then I implemented code to map the OwnerTeam Passed to the corresponding group
                              5. And that was it. It is working just fine now. I will perform some regressive testing to make sure I did not break anything else.