2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2017 6:08 PM by jeffnohl

Is it possible to change the display width of read only text (Label) in a request offering? Or setting parameter value display.

jeffnohl Apprentice

Hi All

We have made use of "Read Only Text" in many of our request offerings to display information. For text boxes or other fields, it's possible to set the width of the text, so I can take advantage of some of the white space. However for labels there is no option to change the width, only height. (If someone can explain that logic, I'm all ears)

This is from the review and submit page. Note the top paragraph which is read only text (label) is rather narrow, and wrapping is not great.

Also the details in the lower column also has rather horrible wrapping where words are cut in half and will display on the next line.

Is it possible to:

- Increase the width of label fields?

- Adjust the wrapping / justification in the "review and submit" page? (I figure it's a form, but can not find it)

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to change the display width of read only text (Label) in a request offering? Or setting parameter value display.
          Expert

Hi Jeff,

That is something that I tried, I actually created a ticket with HEAT for them to add a simple "HTMLView" field for the Requests Offerings to show information to users, they closed the ticket a couple months ago stating that they are not going to develop that, so, I had to look for a workaround, my solution?

• I do not use the label, I use the "Description" field that shows up below, it seems to have less constrains:

• Also that field allow to use some HTML tags (although very few are officially supported, I have seem many work properly), so I "force" some formatting.
          • You have to select the "Source Edit" for this to work:

• This is the <div> tag that I use to start the labels that I want to use as a message:
          <div style="text-align: justify; font-family: Verdana; font-size: medium; color:#000000;"> YOUR TEXT HERE </div>
            • This would justify your text (can also be left, right or centre), select Verdana as font type (I feel is more readable, but it is up to you).
            • The size will be pretty big (again, personal preference), you can use pixels instead or just remove that part so it uses the same size than the rest of the Offering.
            • You have to put a colour, if not it will use a faded grey that is really hard to read, with this code it will force the black into it, making it more readable.
          • It is not perfect, I haven't managed to control the width of the form, but looks good enough for me:

• As you can see, inside the <div> you can still use other HTML tags to format your text (anything you need, try it, it might work )

I guess that if enough people asks for it to HEAT they might try again to develop the solution, on the meantime, I am using this.

PS: Yes, all the lorem ipsum text is on the "Description" of one label field, I have yet to see a limit on amount of characters.

Daniel.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is it possible to change the display width of read only text (Label) in a request offering? Or setting parameter value display.
            jeffnohl Apprentice

Thank you Daniel. It's nice to see I am not going nuts.

This seems like a brilliant workaround, thank you for that. It would still be nice be able to control some of the fields a little more, but this will definitely work.