2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2017 2:36 AM by phoffmann

I believe I have a rogue database

SpencerTC Apprentice

So I recently install Ivanti Endpoint Manager 2017.1 on a server that previously hosted LANDesk Management Suite 2016, and while our SQL admin created the new database on a separate Virtual Hard Disk (which is still active and gets written to), I noticed a secondary database located on my Core OS drive (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA). The database is just named "LANDesk.mdf", but it's already reached 7GB in size. Both our SQL admin and myself are puzzled as to what this database if for, why it's being consistently updated, and what is updating it.

This is an issue, because it's draining my hard drive storage on the Core, and if it's constantly writing to it, then those are vital resources that are being utilized.

Does anyone know what this database may be utilized for? It can't be a remnant from LANDesk 2016, because that wouldn't explain why it's being constantly updated. Why would Ivanti be using both the configured database that's on a separate drive and this other database? More importantly, how do I rid myself of it safely (if I can)?

Since I couldn't find anything regarding "database" or "SQL" in the places, I'm taking a guess and placing it in the "Inventory" place.

2017.08.31 - Desklan Database.PNG

• 1. Re: I believe I have a rogue database
          Recursion SupportEmployee

Does your Core have SQL Server installed on it?

If so, you can run sp_who2 in a query window to see what active connections are established to that database, assuming that SQL Server is maintaining the connection. 

• 2. Re: I believe I have a rogue database
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

A couple of additional things:

• Make sure you have SQL Server Enterprise Manager installed on the Core. It's essentially a GUI around managing databases and does allow querying them. That'll allow you to see what's actually inside there.
              • If you have acess to a DBA (in case you don't have any SQL skills yourself), that'd help.
              • A good place to start would be first the SQL statement above.
              • Then you may also want to have a look as to what's inside the database ... let's begin with something simple, such as "what devices are listed in it" ... that may help explain what that database is about. For a simple beginning for that, start with:

""

use LANDesk

-- the above is so that you "connect" to the context of the database.

select * from COMPUTER

""

• Compare it against the information you have in "Configure Services" (must be run on the Core). Could well be that this is your regular LANDesk database. Here's an colour coded screenshot of what to look for:

1. in RED - the name of the (usually Windows) server hosting the database
            2. in GREEN - the name of the database.
            3. in BLUE - the SQL-username (not an NT-user ) used to connect to the database.

... that'll quickly show you where you actually *DO* (or do not) connect for your production LANDesk DB. It's also possible that this DB might be hosted for a test-Core perhaps?

• If we're being generous, and estimate about 5-10 MB of data per client, then this database might hold about 600-1,200 clients ... (give or take - could be very few clients & just someone turned on ALL of the auditing options for instance). To have an idea as to how data is spread around, you can run a simple report to show you the most highly utilised tables. Based on the table names & row-count, it's pretty easy to deduce what that data is...

Right-click on the database and do this:

• To confirm from the database-side which Windows server is acting as the LANDesk Core Server, that's pretty simple to. Just run this query here:

""

-- may need to specify DB-context, if you haven't already - so for your "rogue database" this should be...

use LANDesk

-- actual SQL statement to query

select SYSTEMNAME, CORESERVER, MDVERSION from METASYSTEMS

""

... that'll feed you back which Windows-server this database is serving, in essence (SYSTEMNAME and CORESERVER should be the same value).

... and "MDVERSION" is the version of the database (in LANDesk terms). So if you see something like "9.60.xxx" then you're working with a LDMS 9.6 database.

If you see something like 10.0.xxx -- that should be IEM 2016.x

If you see something like 10.1.xxx -- that should be IEM 2017.x

... so that should help you out in confirming things either way .

NOTE - since you're a local admin (I hope?) on that particular server, you should be able to get yourself added as a SQL-admin as well. Your DBA can help you with that if needed. At a push, here are some crash instructions (just a few results - quite easy to find something via google):

- Recover access to a SQL Server instance

- SQL Server Solutions with Practical SQL DBA: SQL Server : Lost all Administrator Account in SQL Server and Forgot sa Acc…

... once you know what that database is serving / doing, you'll be better armed with figuring out what to do with it.

{The above SQL statemens assume that it's an "actual" LANDesk Core Server database ... looking at it through SQL Enterprise Manager may provide better information ... which is why that should be your first go-to point.}