4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2017 12:56 PM by rweb9

Deploying Package Bundles Through Workspaces

rweb9 Rookie

Has anyone had any luck with getting Package Bundles to show up as an option under the "Install Software" list in Workspaces?  Is it possible to deploy Bundles through Workspaces? 

I see nearly everything else as an option, but Bundles (or the Tasks for the Bundles) do not show.  I've tried different Policy / Portal settings, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Deploying Package Bundles Through Workspaces
          jaysmith SupportEmployee

The "Install Software" link returns a list of available distribution packages.  Software bundles are not, strictly speaking, distro packages although the packages that make up a bundle are.  That's why they don't currently display in that dialog. 

You definitely can deploy the bundle to the device in question as a policy and tell it to display in portal, and execute it that way.

• 2. Re: Deploying Package Bundles Through Workspaces
            rweb9 Rookie

Thanks Jay.

Just so I understand fully -

On the task level, bundles have to be set as policy and to display in portal - but then have to be executed manually from the portal on the machine?

Some background on this - there are some within our IT department that we want to give the ability to deploy software, but they don't have the console or access to the Core.  So - Workspaces would be the option.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Deploying Package Bundles Through Workspaces
              jaysmith SupportEmployee

Currently yes that is correct.  And it would not be an ideal situation for your IT folks who want to deploy software without accessing the console. 

However, I spoke with Dev and we are submitting this as a bug.  We feel that bundles should be deployable in the same method as other distro packages.  So, while this doesn't help you immediately, this will be fixed in a future patch. 

For now, I suggest opening a support case with our Asset team to determine if you can define granular enough rights in User Rights Assignment such that you can give your folks console access but restrict it to software deployment only. 

• 4. Re: Deploying Package Bundles Through Workspaces
                rweb9 Rookie

Thank you for the information - much appreciated.