5 Replies Latest reply on May 26, 2009 11:14 AM by gashby

Self-Service Portal prompting for username password

Rookie

Strangest problem.  We're still on 8.7 SP5, and our users have started reporting a username and password prompt after they've chosen the package to download and clicked the download button.  More strangness, the package downloads and installs, regardless of the username/password issue.

The prompt says that it's connecting to localhost.  No username is accepted, including Domain Admins.  If cancel is clicked, the portal goes to "Unauthorized", but the package continues to download and install.

We're doing peer distribution, so I'm not sure if that's giving us fits.  I was thinking that our proxy settings were causing problems, but I removed the proxy from the mix on one today, and no change.

Any help would be appriciated.

Ben

• 1. Re: Self-Service Portal prompting for username password
          Rookie

Hello,

I'm having the same problem, but not on every machine.  When selecting an app from the portal, it goes to Installing........., then pops up a Connect to localhost login prompt.  It never finishes installing and won't accept any credentials.  Cancelling the login prompt sends the page to 401 Not Authorized.  Our LD Version is 8.7 SP4.  Anyone have any idea on this one.

Connie

• 2. Re: Self-Service Portal prompting for username password
            cknott SupportEmployee

Ben, check and see if the cba_anonymous account is being created on the local machine.  This is an on demand account thats created when the core contacts the agent with CBA on port 9595.  The password is randomized.

Also, go into the properties of the delivery method and uncheck any of the limit remote downloads to 1 per subnet, any bandwidth throttling, basically all of the settings under the "Network" section in the delivery method.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Self-Service Portal prompting for username password
              Rookie

We are using "limit remote downloads" and limiting bandwidth.  Are those items non-functioning?  I've not been able to turn them off and test yet.  Thanks for the info, I'll let you know wheat I find with the cba_anonymous account.

• 4. Re: Self-Service Portal prompting for username password
                Rookie

Ok, the CBA_Anonymous account exists on a machine that's had the problem.  I'm going to delete the account and let it recreate it the next time I see the problem.  I'll let you know if it gets resolved.

• 5. Re: Self-Service Portal prompting for username password
                  SupportEmployee

There is an issue with the Self-Service Portal prompting for username and password when .Net 3.5 SP1 (or greater) is installed.  There is some debate on whether or not Office 2007 needed to be present for this to occur. We have resolved this issue in LDMS 8.7 SP6. The fix was in the servicehost.exe (fixed version is > 8.7.1.1). This fix is also rolled forward to LDMS 8.8 SP2 and SP3. But this may be your issue.