2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2017 12:54 PM by WARRIOR

    Quantifying Incident Impact Without Altering Project Impact

    WARRIOR Apprentice

      I neede to clearly define incident impact by stating the number of cases directly on the pick list items so that users/techs would be able to select the corresponding impact from the number of cases observed/reported.

       

      After dealing with a few issues I was able to get this to work as expected. The problem became that this was carried over to the project screen.

       

      Capture.PNG

       

      This way the user need to lookup some policy documentation to know how manay cases are needed to define the impact of a situation as High, Medium, or Low.

       

       

      Capture.PNG

       

      While this clarification by definition is great for incidents, impact take a slightly different meaning in a project, and does not translate to number of cases is is needed for incidents.

       

      I would like the pick list in the project form to be as simple as it was while retaining the change I made in the incident form.

       

       

       

      Please help.

        • 1. Re: Quantifying Incident Impact Without Altering Project Impact
          Jonathan.Schmidt SupportEmployee

          I looks like you modified a picklist that's used in multiple places.  You can see where all a picklist is used by clicking the "Usage Stats" button on the Picklist setup page in the AdminUI. 

           

          You need the two picklists to display differently in these two places.  There's no way to define separate display values for two fields that are both using the same picklist.

           

          Depending on how you build that you may need a new validation object for your customized picklist, or you might need just an extra column in the validation object for the customized Display text.

          • 2. Re: Quantifying Incident Impact Without Altering Project Impact
            WARRIOR Apprentice

            This concept worked. However I ran into problems that may (or not) be related to the fact that I created a separate business object from which I created the new pick list. To resolve this, I simply added a field I called isProject to the original business object. It was a 1 character field that holds 'Y' for projects and 'N' for incidents. With this field as my constraint filter, I was able to create two distinct pick lists with record entries targeted to meet the selection needs for each pick list.