6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2017 9:15 AM by phoffmann

Workspaces Analyst Software Install list

ma92675 Apprentice

How do we control what is listed when an analyst logs into Workspaces, finds an End-User's PC under the Analyst Workspace "Find Users and Devices", selects a user's device and and selects "Install Software"?  This list isn't the Software catalog and seems to show ALL Distribution items, even custom scripts.  How do we limit what an analyst can see in this list?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Workspaces Analyst Software Install list
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

It's entirely dependant on what rights/permissions they have for the Console.

The idea is that the two mirror each other. I.e. - "if you have SLM permissions - you'll have access to the SLM module in Workspaces. If you have Patch permissions in the console, you'll have the Patch-module in Workspaces" and so on.

So - check / look at the Console permissions/rights you've got configured for your user(s).

Hope this helps?

• 2. Re: Workspaces Analyst Software Install list
            rtrmpec Apprentice

@ma92675 If I understand it correctly - with SW distribution permission every Public package will be listed and available to push to the clients - I wish there was a way to limit this too!

• 3. Re: Workspaces Analyst Software Install list

It's sort of the purpose of a "public" package to be ... well - public.

If you could be more specific as to what you're actually trying to achieve (i.e. "the full picture"), I think that may be more helpful here. I suspect that we may be able to help a bit more if we understand the whole story / problem you're trying to address.

• 4. Re: Workspaces Analyst Software Install list
                rtrmpec Apprentice

As always - thank you for reaching out!

The full picture is that we wanted to limit access to some packages, so they can be installed/viewed only by certain LIT depts.

Example:

Let's say there are 3 IT departments - USA, Germany, India

Some packages are common for all departments (can be installed on any machine), but some packages should be visible only for Germany LIT (if they buy SW with license there) and same goes for other locations.

We had this set with our previous SD system, but we did not find out a way to set this in Ivanti (Our partner did not know either) May be we just need to adjust our mind to different logic of Invanti SD.

Thanks again.

• 5. Re: Workspaces Analyst Software Install list
                  ma92675 Apprentice

Same here, we have some analysts that are allowed to install certain software, and some who are allowed to install any software.  The difference, for example, are our Service Desk folks vs our Network Admins.  We don't want our ServiceDesk the ability to install Server software on desktops, or run Network Admin scripts against machines.  Right now via Workspaces software install (not the catalog), they have access to everything.

• 6. Re: Workspaces Analyst Software Install list

Have you considered playing with "teams" then?

That way, you have private vs public, and "part / not part" of a team.

So for instance, you can share a package in a "High priviledge" type team, and those people who aren't allowed to see it, shouldn't see it?

Should sort you guys out (may just involve some setting up of teams for the (web-)console users)?