2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2017 7:50 AM by kmiller5

Once Patching is complete machines don't reboot ?

Rookie

So I want to make sure that once I patch machines they perform their reboot based on my reboot options. But no matter what I do they will go to "reboot required before more updates can be applied", state and I have to manually reboot them via custom task or from within the group options of " reboot Now".

I checked the chaining options and I have auto  reboot after last chain item is processed in the group settings enabled on all my groups.

I do see that I have the default System Task within - Manage - Deployments and Tasks - disabled.

1. Should this be disabled by default or was it somehow disabled by someone ?
      2. Lets say that the answer to the question is that someone disabled it , if I enable the task will it force a reboot to the machines that are sitting in the " Reboot Required " state.
      3. I do not have any deployments running so I am not sure if te reboot will occur on the machines or not.

Any guidance on this system task and what I should do and what  am i going to expect to happen once I do enable it.

• 1. Re: Once Patching is complete machines don't reboot ?
          DCogde Rookie

I am not with Ivanti, but I do use HEAT EMSS version 8.5, which was formerly LEMSS before our agency upgraded and Lumension got "brought out".  Hopefully this will help.

1. Should this be disabled by default or was it somehow disabled by someone ?  It is my understanding this should be enabled by default. If it is enabled, then the endpoints will reboot after you patched it. You will also want to make sure your DAU is set to enabled, otherwise your endpoint will constantly show it needs a patch, even though you can see it installed on the endpoint.
          2. Lets say that the answer to the question is that someone disabled it , if I enable the task will it force a reboot to the machines that are sitting in the " Reboot Required " state.  YES it will force a reboot. It will be better to enable it during non-production hours.
          3. I do not have any deployments running so I am not sure if te reboot will occur on the machines or not.  Best to enable after production hours. None may be running, but the deployments could have been completed and are just "waiting" for the endpoint to reboot once it's enabled.

I hope this helps.

• 2. Re: Once Patching is complete machines don't reboot ?
            kmiller5 Rookie

I had this issue as well, and here is what fixed mine.

Choose the menu:   Review, Other, Tasks.

For some reason, my Task - Reboot System was NOT cached on my system - I had to re-cache/download the task.

Check the box, and choose Update Cache.

Once I did this, my systems rebooted after patching again as they did before.

This may help you, or at least it is something else to check if you are having the problem.