4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2017 1:54 AM by JulianWigman

How do you change the window of an 'Manual Action' in Process Designer?

Pitmac1 Apprentice

Hey ServiceDesk Pals,

I'm new to Process Designer, and i'm sure there is a way to change the window of an 'Manual Action' in Process Designer, but was never shown how.  I see where to create an new manual action, but where do you map your window business object to the action?

• 1. Re: How do you change the window of an 'Manual Action' in Process Designer?
          John.Moha Expert

Hi Pit,

I have lost through the description, what exactly you are trying to achieve !

if you asking how to create manual action and edit window for that action ,

1- in window manager , under the module you have create that action, you can edit the window.

2- if you create window in process designer it will be like not associated with window

**#*

if not please explain more ...

Thanks

John

• 2. Re: How do you change the window of an 'Manual Action' in Process Designer?
            Steve_Rose Apprentice

Hi Pitmac,

I can only assume that the question that you are asking is that on associating a manual action with a window, you are seeing the default window rather than a custom one that you may have already created?

When configuring your window view rules, there is an option to set the window that is associated to an action.

More information on configuring view rules can be found here

• 3. Re: How do you change the window of an 'Manual Action' in Process Designer?
              Pitmac1 Apprentice

Thanks @Steve_Rose !

I think you maybe on to something.

My goal is to create another action on incidents, if I already have the window created. What would be the best way to create another action?

I know that you can create an New Action, but where does this get stored?

When the New Action gets created would I then go to View Management to "map" the window to the action?

How does the Note Business Object know that it belongs to the "Action Instance" Note?

I see where if you right click the New Action Instance you can go to 'Modify Window Actions' but it appears that the available windows are for an particular business object.

• 4. Re: How do you change the window of an 'Manual Action' in Process Designer?
                JulianWigman Master

If you use the "New Action"  command in process designer and associate with window, you would map it to an existing window via window view rules.  However this must be an existing object/collection.  Most time when we use this feature we are using to create a different window view on the main top level (process) object; ie the main form. So maybe we want an action that we can say privilege to a different role (supervisor) to maybe change an attribute that is otherwise locked on the main form.  We also use to create what we call "Ghost Windows" to get around certain design constraints of wanting some runtime data to appear on a form when a new manual action form is opened (but hey that's another story).

You ALSO set the actions for collections themselves in a different place; (Business) Object Designer or BOD for short. Wherever you see a "collection" attribute (NOTES for example on INCIDENT) you can right-click with the mouse and choose "Manage Actions" and here, depending on the action and whether they are system or user created etc you can do "Create Related", "Update Related" etc actions and also actions that update across module; ie add a note to an Incident and also to it's related Changes at the same time.

So basically actions are setup in 2 places;  Process Designer (with views setup in Window Manager)  and Object Designer (base collections).

Julian

@MarXtar

1 of 1 people found this helpful