Removed as it is not a good answer... just check Alasdair's reply...
For context: I recommended creating a workflow for the Knowledge that would run on creation and look for the "Expiration date" to update the Status.
I would not run this on every knowledge article as it not the most efficient approach and you could have workflows running for months/years potentially.
Use a similar principle but run the workflow as a scheduled job using a run for search action. Search for the Knowledge articles which are going to expire in x number of days with a saved search and execute a quick action on the result.
Link to the help section on run for search: HEAT Service Management Online Help
- Add a new saved search to the Knowledge object you wish to control (or FRS_Knowledge to effect all articles)
- Add a quick action for the updates you wish to perform, expire article, archive send an email alert etc.
- Add a new workflow to the Schedule Entry object
- Add start/Stop and the run for search command block
- Set the block with your ssaved search and the quick action to run
- Add a daily schedule to run against...it can be run every few minutes if needed but once a day provably covers knowledge articles.
Thank you guys so much your for your help. I implemented Alasdair's suggested solution in Staging - it worked flawlessly!!
PS - I forgot to mention, I have HEAT ITSM on-prem, version 2015.2.2000.13866. Note: Minor adjustment had to be done to get it to work!