6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2017 2:13 AM by JulianWigman

Can you background search on Incident Descriptions in Console like you can in WebDesk?

Pitmac1 Apprentice

Hey y'all,

I'm new to knowledge management most of our Analyst still use Console . I'm hoping to get everyone off of it, but I was wondering. Is there an way to background search on Incident descriptions in Console like you can in WebDesk?

I'm trying to set up Knowledge for the first time ever, so if any of y'all have any insight any possible issues, ect.  I would love to hear it.

Other Questions:

If I can pull knowledge from BOD in Knowledge Management Search, why can't I pull my articles as well?

WebDesk Search -  How do you enable search of articles and BODs?

• 1. Re: Can you background search on Incident Descriptions in Console like you can in WebDesk?
          JulianWigman Expert

General rule is if it works in WebDesk then it should also just work in console too UNLESS you have different windows for the UI's.  Invoking a background search is by a property of the fields on the window but "Lose Focus" is common to both Console and WebDesk whilst some of the other properties for invoking background searches are Console Only.  As I say though fortunately you have working in WebDesk so from a design perspective it should just work.

If it doesn't then check in ConfigurationCenter to check that the "Free Text search Index Path" property for the "framework" (as console talked to the framework apps) as it should match that on the WebAccess App. Maybe iit has only been setup for WebDesk OR the path is incorrect.

Not you may have more than one Framework App; for example if you have explicit and integrated logon setup in your solution.

Julian

@MarXtar

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can you background search on Incident Descriptions in Console like you can in WebDesk?
            Pitmac1 Apprentice

Thanks JulianWigman

Where does one find the path for the "free text search index path"?

• 3. Re: Can you background search on Incident Descriptions in Console like you can in WebDesk?
              Pitmac1 Apprentice

I assume if the "free text search index path" is blank the default location would be C:\ProgramData\LANDesk\ServiceDesk\Framework.PRD - tps.config. If my values in this file is both '<add key="FreeTextSearchIndexPath" value="" />' and  '<add key="TraceLevel_FreeTextSearch" value="None" />' is this normal? As my background searching is currently not working.

• 4. Re: Can you background search on Incident Descriptions in Console like you can in WebDesk?
                JulianWigman Expert

There isn't a default.

If WebDesk works then check the same property on the WebAccess App (Edit) and copy the path As you know that one already works.

Julian

@MarXtar

• 5. Re: Can you background search on Incident Descriptions in Console like you can in WebDesk?
                  Pitmac1 Apprentice

And since my WebDesk knowledge doesn't work, I must have missed something in the setup.

I can create articles, approve articles, test search for incidents in "Knowledge Management Search" as SA but not as myself. I have published Knowledge Domains to the correct group and I can query articles in the 'Knowledge Management Administration'. However I'm unable to background search or search for any article as SA and as myself.

• 6. Re: Can you background search on Incident Descriptions in Console like you can in WebDesk?
                    JulianWigman Expert

So what you are describing at the moment with Articles etc is that you have lifecycles in the Knowledge Management module active. This is not the same as the Knowledgebase which is a folder share on your server somewhere where Articles and for that matter any other objects you setup can be indexed and searched.  I bet you don't have the Service Catalogue running either then,  because if you did, you'd be using this share.

So to setup create a folder somewhere (typically we put on the APP server) on the same system where the "Background Service" windows service is running and ensure that the Application Pool user (used by the Framework and WebAccess APPS in ConfigurationCenter) has write access to it and anybody else has read access. 

So for example you create a folder called "D:\Knowledgebase" on APP server LDSDApp01 and share as "\\LDSDApp01\Knowledgebase".   Put this share UNC path in the search property field in ConfigurationCenter.   It is that Background Service that builds the knowledgebase so restart this service and check the Knowledgebase share and you should see some index files being added immediately.  By default it will index your Knowledge Articles. Check the progress of the rebuild in Knowledge Administration (in Console) if you want to and fine tune settings.

After this hopefully you'll have a Knowledgebase and background searching working.  Try searching in the search bar in the main toolbar in WebDesk.  Also test background search on the Incident form by completing either/both Summary and Description and tabbing away (lose focus).  If that doesn't work then check the properties on these 2 fields on your window in Window Manager and check the Invoke search on Lose Focus property is set to TRUE for both fields.

Hopefully you should then have searching working.

Julian

@MarXtar