3 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 3:12 AM by MarkMcGinn

Windows services that must be started to deploy SW

Rookie

Hi all,

is there any list of Windows services that must be in a running state to deploy software via SD Scheduled Task or Patch Manager?

Our customer has several machines with some service stopped and I need to write a script to enable them.

Thanks

Ester Memoli

• 1. Re: Windows services that must be started to deploy SW
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

... which services has he got stopped?

If he's killed off the networking, then we're not going to get far (for example). But other than that, we don't overly rely on Windows services ... it will be easier to tell once we know what they've killed off to be able to tell whether or not it's likely to be a problem.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Windows services that must be started to deploy SW
            Rookie

Hi Paul,

the situation is quite disastered, so there's a great diversity in stopped services.

Btw I noticed that many machines have the Network service stopped and I have to schedule a technician to reconfigure these machines maually.

I asked for the list to know if the technician could do more or it is enough to start just network and workstation services.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Windows services that must be started to deploy SW
              Apprentice

If there's no network connectivity then you have an issue, but providing there is enough just to get a message to the agent, then you should be able to re-enable services, just via a batch file to start them, or using a registry import file.  Manage Scripts is perfect for this as it is handled by LANDesk itslef, so if LANDesk is running and can communicate then you can do pretty much anything.

Maybe create a basic manage script and basic batch file job and send it to all of the machines to see which ones can definitely perform a task.  Maybe as part of that script set a custom registry key so you can easily identify the working machines in the future and force an inventory scan.  After that, machines you can't see this key in become the basis for your investigation and manual approach.

Mark McGinn

Verismic Software - http://www.verismic.com

Precision Engineering for Systems Management

Check Our New Power Manager Solution