5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2017 2:53 AM by MarXtar

Database Doctor Function

BryanNg Apprentice

Hi All,

Is there any best practice guide for the database doctor function. Appreciate if someone share out some useful document.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Database Doctor Function
          Frank Wils ITSMMVPGroup

Hi,

Most features of DbDocter are pretty straightforward... What do you try to accomplish?

Frank

• 2. Re: Database Doctor Function
            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

On the flip side, a number of actions in DBDoctor are extremely destructive if you use them incorrectly.

So the answer to your questions is that as far as I know there is no documentation regarding best practice.

However, if you tell us what you are looking to do we'd be happy to advise on how to achieve it.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://ivantione.marxtar.com

Ivanti One Development Partner

Try MarXtar State Management for Ivanti to Better Understand and Manage your Assets

• 3. Re: Database Doctor Function
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yeah - please describe what you're trying to do.

Usually my advice is "unless you know what you're doing - don't use it" (the amusing point being that people who know what they're doing don't usually need DB Doc). It's a VERY potent thing but can end up in a "doing brain surgery with a pipe wrench" situation as alluded to above.

So yeah - big "+1" request to let us know what you're trying to do (and why / how) ... so we can either point you down the right path or as needed, give you less risky alternatives.

• 4. Re: Database Doctor Function
                BryanNg Apprentice

Hi All,

I'm just trying out all the features in the Data Analytic.

Example I've scenario here, I would like to migrate my current database (SQL Express) data to a new database server (SQL Server). It is recommended to use database doctor to export out of the computer data then import it to the new SQL server?

• 5. Re: Database Doctor Function
                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Hi, while you could use DB Doctor for that, you'd be better off just backing up your old database using SQL backup, restoring it to your new server and then pointing your core server at the new database. That would take far more than just your inventory data over.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://ivantione.marxtar.com

Ivanti One Development Partner

Try MarXtar State Management for Ivanti to Better Understand and Manage your Assets