10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2017 2:56 AM by MarXtar

Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?

Rookie

We just recently upgraded from LANDesk v9.5 to Ivanti Management Console 2017 v10.1.10.287 and we've been having problems "waking up" the computer clients that have the new agent.  One odd thing I've noticed is that I cannot "wake up" a particular computer the next day unless I turn it on manually first.  In other words, it won't "wake up" unless I turn it on and let it boot up to Windows, then turn it off.  After that I can wake it up no problem.  But...if I shut it down and leave the computer off for an hour or so, then I cannot wake it up again.  It is weird.  It is like the Ivanti Management Console is forgetting how to "find" that computer again after a while.

We still have a server running with LANDesk v9.5 and don't have this particular problem with the clients that are still running that agent and the clients running the new agent have been totally removed from the older server, so is there a particular settings or something that I need to check or change that might be causing this issue?

Curtis

• 1. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
          jaysmith SupportEmployee

A couple questions - are the devices you're waking up on the same subnet as your core server or a different one?

If the same - get a wireshark from the core and client and see if you can locate the WOL packet.  It should leave the core and traverse the switch successfully and be received by the target machine.

If not on the same network - Make sure that the XDD Self-Electing Service is active for that subnet.  It's required for WOL to elect a subnet representative and function across subnets. This is a change between 9.5 (you manually elect subnet reps) and 2017 (they self-elect).  You also need to ensure at least one device on each subnet is awake or else there is no device available to act as the subnet rep. 

wol.gif

• 2. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
            Rookie

The core server is on a different subnet than any client.  The old core server is on that same subnet too.

I understand what you stated about being, "...not on the same network", but not clear what you are showing in the animation.  For one thing, we don't have any subnets showing within the "Extended device discovery (ARP).  Nor is there anything showing within the "Self-Checking subnet services" and I don't see any option to add anything either.  I forget where they are located, but we do have "self-elect' clients listed somewhere.

Curtis

• 3. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
              jaysmith SupportEmployee

Ok, so that is probably your issue.  I will provide more clarity.  In your version of the product, wol functions across subnets by self-electing a domain representative.  This domain rep will actually send out the WOL magic packets to any targets on it's subnet, since routers don't allow WOL magic packets to cross subnets by default. 

In order to be able to self-elect a subnet rep for multicast, the Self-electing service "extended device discovery (arp)" needs to be active on that subnet.  >

When you go to Tools -> Configuration -> Self-Electing Subnet Services and highlight 'extended device discovery (arp)' are your subnets listed?  Does the "desired state" column show Enabled or Disabled?  If disabled, you can right-click that subnet in the list and select enabled. 

In addition to enabling the subnets, you need to enable this feature in your agent settings.  Go to the properties of your Client Connectivity settings where you will see Self-Electing Subnet Services.  Make sure the checkbox is enabled.  Then click on Extended Device Discovery and check the box to use ARP. 

Once you've saved the setting, it will be applied to your devices when they next run vulscan.  Once it's applied, you'll start to see devices being elected and WOL should start to function again.  Be sure that at least one managed device is already awake so it can be elected as the subnet rep. 

• 4. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
                Rookie

No, no subnets showing, as you can see below:

So...how do we get the subnets to show?  Is this a router or a switch issue that needs to be changed?  We do have the "ARP" set within the Agent Configuration:

• 5. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
                  Rookie

Ok...the subnets were not showing, because I was logged in using some credentials that didn't have some kind of "permissions" to show them, so here is what we really have:

And as you can see, we have them "Enabled".  Any other ideas?

• 6. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
                    jaysmith SupportEmployee

The elected device listed should be turned on, otherwise a new election needs to occur to select a new device.  That may explain why it works at times and doesn't work at other times.  

Beyond that, I would wireshark the subnet and see what's going on with the magic packets. 

• 7. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
                      Rookie

The computers in that list are usually on all day long, especially that one listed for subnet, "10.10.0/24", which is where I've been "testing" waking up a computer and it won't do it, unless I first turn it on manually, as I originally mentioned.  Once thing we have noticed is that the computers listed in the "Elected Device Name" seem to change fairly often throughout the day, even though the originals are still ones are on.

Thanks for your assistance.  I will check with our "network" guys to see if we have access to WireShark.

• 8. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
                        MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Which wake up option are you choosing? Wake-On-LAN or Wake-On-WAN? Each behaves differently.

The behaviour you describe where devices wake for a while and then won't sounds like Wake-On-WAN functionality is not working, but the backup method built in that tries to send a WoL message to the last IP of the machine is. This relies on caching in the switches so that the message can find the machine. how long this caches for varies depending on the hardware.

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://ivantione.marxtar.com

Ivanti One Development Partner

Try MarXtar State Management for Ivanti to Better Understand and Manage your Assets

• 9. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
                          Rookie

Mark,

We tried using "Wake-On-LAN", "Wake-On-WAN", and the "wake" option within "Scheduled Tasks", but when the devices stop to "waking up", nothing works.  You got my interest peaked when you mentioned about the "caching in the switches", but why would the older version of LANDesk still be able to "wake" computers whever, but the newer one will not?  Does it has something to do with what Jaysmith stated earlier, that the newer version uses "elected devices" vice "multicast domain reps"?

Curtis

• 10. Re: Any Idea Why "Wake Up" Fails After A While?
                            MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Hi, there is a real chance the architecture change is impacting this as the use of a representative within the subnet is essential for Wake-On-WAN to work.

If you can wireshark then you should be able to see if the message is actually going out from the rep (or anyone else). if it isn't then you need to get this logged with support.

If this is a major impact you could take a look at our state management tool as this has a WoW plugin that bypasses the mechanism being used by Endpoint Manager (Management Suite).

Mark McGinn

MarXtar Ltd/MarXtar Corporation

http://ivantione.marxtar.com

Ivanti One Development Partner

Try MarXtar State Management for Ivanti to Better Understand and Manage your Assets