2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2017 4:05 PM by EZ

What is the Ivanti Platform Load Balancing? And where is the license manager supposed to be installed?

EZ Apprentice

Hot-Hot.JPG Hello There, I just reviewed the latest install and deployment guide and am a little confused as to how to set up a Hot - Hot HA setup for ISM (on premise) can someone plz explain to me the diagram above? I have installed ISM on premise dozens of times and cannot see where to put the license manager / server and how it would not be a single point of failure. Your help is REALLY appreciated...

• 1. Re: What is the Ivanti Platform Load Balancing? And where is the license manager supposed to be installed?
          Jonathan.Schmidt SupportEmployee

Ever since 2015.1, you can install the license server on one or more servers.  As long as the licnese MAC ID matches the server where it's loaded, then it will be stored in the ConfigDB and will be valid for all Servers that are running the License module.

The Platform load balancing is inherent to the various items in those boxes.  By and larger they operate on a timed workcycle that goes to the database, email box, integration, etc and "get the next item to be worked".  This item is locked and worked by that server.  This means that if one server goes down the others would simply take up the load because they would continue to "get the next item" and process it.

Obviously the internal operation of these various pieces is a lot more complex than that but it's the best way I've found to talk about how that works in simple terms.  In short, the point of that verbiage in the install guide is to highlight that you don't need the additional expense of a hardware/software load balancer for those pieces to be redundant.

Does that help you understand what you need to know?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What is the Ivanti Platform Load Balancing? And where is the license manager supposed to be installed?
            EZ Apprentice

Yes it does clarify a couple of points about the license server, so thank you.