4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 5:29 AM by MReece

Auto create an Alert from a P1 or P2 Incident

Rookie

Hi.  We don't current use the Alerts banner, but are looking to bring it in use.  I was wondering if there was a business rule or workflow that could be created that would allow us to have an Alert created off the back of a P1 or P2 Incident that has been raised.  Any suggestions as to how we could do this would be helpful.  We are using iVanti Service Manager 2017.1.1

• 1. Re: Auto create an Alert from a P1 or P2 Incident
          AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

The easiest option would be to add a triggered rule on the incident object it would have a conditional expression to test for a P1 or P2 incident.  That would run an insert object quick action and insert an Alert object record.

The improved option would be to add a relationship between incident and alert something like one to many (0..1:0..M).  then you can use a insert child object for the Alert record.  Doing it this way would allow you to close the alert record automatically from resolution or closure of the incident record using another business rule.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Auto create an Alert from a P1 or P2 Incident
            Rookie

Thanks Alasdair, very helpful. I’ll give it a go! Do you happen to know if there is anything similar out of the box that I could use to copy the same logic?  Michael

• 3. Re: Auto create an Alert from a P1 or P2 Incident
              YMoual Apprentice

Hi MReece,

As far as I know, there is no such functionality OOTB. The logic which Alasdair provided is correct. Here is how you can go about it:

1. Create a new relationship between Incident and Alert:

2. Add a trigger business rule which will create an alert record when the Incident Priority == 1 or 2:

Note that the value in the Alert description field is gotten from the Incident summary.

You can decide to have 2 business rules; one for P1 and another one for P2 Incidents where you will set a generic Alert description and a specific severity e.g. P1 Incidents will have a severity of 1 and P2 Incidents will have a severity of 2. This will all depend on your business requirements.

Hope this helps.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Auto create an Alert from a P1 or P2 Incident
                Rookie

Just wanted to say thanks for this response YMoual - very useful!