7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2009 7:02 AM by cornilm

Multicast Software Distribution Window

jpozucek Apprentice

When I run a task I have two windows that pop-up on my core if I'm RDP'd to the console.  The Custom Job Processing window and the Multicast Software Distribution Window.   I am trying to figure out how these work together.  I seems that a multicast representative is found and then each file is processed from 0 to 100%.  Is this percentage the download to the multicast rep or to all the computers in the multicast domain?  Also sometimes I see that a file has a status of "Working" but the percentage never increases and the jobs never start for those computers in that multicast domain.  Is there a way to remove that rep and have a new rep assigned without killing the job?

Any documentation on these windows would be appreciated.  I could not find anything in my docs. 

p.s. I am running version 8.7 SP3

• 1. Re: Multicast Software Distribution Window
          Apprentice

Custom Job windows is the initiation of the script.  The multicast window appears at the point where the mutlicast portion of the job begins.  Once complete, the rest of the custom job will complete.

As for the 0 to 100%.  This is actually 100% to both rep and clients.  Multicast sends a small amount to the rep, and then the rep multicasts that small amount in a repeating cycle until complete.

Not sure about killing the reps.  My understanding was that it should fail over to a new rep, but it's been a while since i saw this happen.

Mark McGinn

Verismic Software - http://www.verismic.com

Precision Engineering for Systems Management

Check Our New Power Manager Solution

• 2. Re: Multicast Software Distribution Window
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

We automatically fail over / try to find a new rep, if an MDR should "die".

Since you're on SP3 ... well - there's a good year / year and a half of changes to SP6 in, so I'm pretty positive we'd have done a few multicast'y things in there - is there a particular reason why you can't / won't upgrade (potentially looking to move to 8.8 or higher?).

In any case, TMC is essentially script based (this is why you see CUSTJOB pop up) - you'll see an INI-file created when you create a multicast job, as Mark pointed out.

When an MDR fails, we try to dynamically determine a new MDR for that subnet, and this has usually worked when I've seen it happen ... there could be problems with trying to detect a new MDR in that respective network (router/firewall could be blocking UDP / our ports or so), do you happen to use static preferred MDR's?

The difference in detection is that we check (first of all) preferred MDR's by a straight TCP connection (so more friendly to routers/firewalls) ... if we can't find it up (or an MDR fails), we try a UDP-based ping-sweep to see if there is "anyone there" - and the first one to respond gets to be the new MDR ... if we don't get a response back, we obviously cannot choose one.

You may want to observe if your "problems" come from the same site(s) and if so, start looking on the networking side of things usually .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multicast Software Distribution Window
              jpozucek Apprentice

Thanks for the info.   We are in the planning phase of upgrading to 8.8.  Maybe that will resolve the issues because it doesn't seem to be trying to find a new rep if the process has already started and the device stops responding.   Also, would multicast be faster if I used a saved Domian Discovery?   It seems like whenever I start the task over again, the same multicast client gets selected but it's still processes the same files each time from 0%.

• 4. Re: Multicast Software Distribution Window
                Apprentice

It will process the files each time because its also the distribution of the file to the target clients.

Yes, if you save the discovery info, it will not have to go through the process each time which will speed things up.  A static rep may help you to troubleshoot some of the failure issues too if you can try using a machine other than the ones that keep failing.

Mark McGinn

Verismic Software - http://www.verismic.com

Precision Engineering for Systems Management

Check Our New Power Manager Solution

• 5. Re: Multicast Software Distribution Window
                  Rookie

Is there a way to block those window from showing?

Becase the first time a thought there was a problem and pressed cancel. After 10 min a person came to me asking if there was something wrong

with the server because his task canceled on his own

• 6. Re: Multicast Software Distribution Window
                    phoffmann SupportEmployee

Are you talking about the Core-side CUSTJOB / Multicast window? If that's what you're talking about, then the short answer is "no ... but sort of".

Let me explain.

You *ONLY* see this Window on the Core, if you're in session 0 (i.e. either ON the core itself, or remote controlling it, or RDP'ing to it with "-admin" or "-console" switch depending on your version of RDP).

If you start jobs from remote 32-bit consoles / in a "normal" RDP session of the Core you will not see these windows.

Does that help you?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 7. Re: Multicast Software Distribution Window
                      Rookie

That helped me,  thanks