1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 18, 2017 2:35 PM by Peteski

Duplicated devices when using bare metal provisioning with serial # vs MAC address

Peteski Apprentice

When we switched from using MAC address in bare metal provisioning to serial (easier to find on the PC), we noticed that the bare metal device never gets deleted. I switched back to MAC and it gets deleted. This seems to be coming from is how the inventory scanner matches up and determines duplicate devices.

My inventory service is currently set to remove duplicates when both the device name and MAC address match. Also "restore old device IDs" is unchecked.

So it sounds like I need to change the inventory service so that it matches with an "OR" perhaps, with either devicename + MAC OR devicename + serial to remove dupes.

The desktop guys like using serial # for a variety of reasons so I'm wondering what the rest of you provisioning nerds out there do in this situation.

thanks

Pete

• 1. Re: Duplicated devices when using bare metal provisioning with serial # vs MAC address
          Peteski Apprentice

It looks like there were two problems:

1) I am using Landesk 2016.3 SU1 and there is apparently a known defect relating to duplicate device creation that is fixed in SU3 for 2016.3. I installed SU4 and provisioning a device as before and no more duplicates.

2) The baremetal device was still present after provisioning but this seems to get deleted overnight when database maintenance runs. It only happens when provisioning bare metal with serial number as the identifier.

In short, the fix was to upgrade to 2016.3 SU4 and either use MAC address to provision or just let the core clean up the old baremetal devices a day after they are provisioned.