2 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 9:09 AM by crowbar

Set a registry key based upon an inventory item?

Rookie

I'd like to be able to set a registry key with information from the inventory database. Specifically, from Custom Data. Is this at all possible to do with a script or package?

• 1. Re: Set a registry key based upon an inventory item?
          Employee

Depending on what you want to set and why, you might be able to do this with Security and Patch Manager. If you simply want to check for the existence of a key and write to it or update it, using a Custom Definition would be an easy and efficient way to go. The only thing you wouldn't be able to do with this would be pull a value dynamically from the inventory and insert it, you would need to specify the value you want to check for / write / update and modify it if/when it changes.

• 2. Re: Set a registry key based upon an inventory item?
            Rookie

Using the Security and Patch Manager, how would I specify which inventory value to insert? Is there a way to use a variable since with each computer I use this on, the data will be different? I need to set valueData to a value in the Custom Data inventory section.

I've included a screenie to show where I need to put the data in, if that helps.