3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2017 8:06 AM by dholland1

Computer.Type Attribute is Wrong

dholland1 Apprentice

I have about 30 computers reporting the wrong type in the "Computer"."Type" attribute. They are all laptops being reported as 'Workstations' instead of 'Portable'. How is that field being populated and is there a way to fix it? We are currently on EPM 2017.1.

• 1. Re: Computer.Type Attribute is Wrong
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

You may want to raise this as a support ticket.

This field (along with most) is ultimately being populated by the inventory scanner (LDISCN32.EXE and it's related items)

If the Inventory scanner can't / doesn't detect those devices as being portables for some reason, it'll need to go to dev eventually to be resolved (both the "why is this not being detected" and "what needs to be done to get those devices to be detected").

Most likely a combination of hardware vendor shenanigans and OS stuff (guessing that the various attributes we're looking for to identify "this is a laptop" aren't what we expect them to be). May require debugging stuff from dev - that's not something that will be able to be handled on the community.

Does that help?

• 2. Re: Computer.Type Attribute is Wrong
            Recursion SupportEmployee

One of the main things we use to designate something as portable is if we can find a battery. It may be worth checking the device's inventory to see if a battery is indeed picked up.

That said, as phoffmann mentioned, this will likely take a support case to diagnose fully and resolve. But getting that battery info could help get things started faster.

• 3. Re: Computer.Type Attribute is Wrong
              dholland1 Apprentice

Thanks, for the replies. I will open a case with support to see what they can do for me. I figured that was what I was going to have to do, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't something else first.