5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 18, 2017 4:08 AM by Julian Wigman

Printing in WebDesk doesn't show the entire incident description

Apprentice

Hi All,

Does printing work well in WebDesk correctly for everybody? (v 2016.4)

Since we changed our description fields to HTML sub datatype rather than None, they now don't auto-expand to print.

A printout looks like this:

I raised this with support and they told me to change the description field back to subdata type None, rather than HTML - obviously that's a no go, so figured i would raise a discussion on here to see how people handle printing nowadays.. i'm sure this used to work properly in older versions of webdesk with HTML fields enabled.

I tried making a crystal report and using the view report option instead for printing, but again this didn't allow the HTML description field to print properly.

e.g. a screenshot wouldn't show on the print out.

Printing seems a fairly basic requirement and my colleagues are astonished that this seems to be so difficult to get working...

Thanks,

Colin

• 1. Re: Printing in WebDesk doesn't show the entire incident description
          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

So just to confirm the issue is you want an HTML because you want embedded images etc and to print them out, BUT the embedded (non Crystal Report) method does not correct print out the field?

Did you do a test in Workspaces, via the HISTORY (view as document) to see if it works there.  Not suggesting that is anything but a "control" test here but if it works in Workspaces then to me sounds like a bug in WebDesk IMHO unless screen print in WebDesk has never been able to screen-print embedded images.

Julian

@MarXtar

• 2. Re: Printing in WebDesk doesn't show the entire incident description
            Apprentice

Hi Julian,

Yes i need my description field to be HTML for images etc. and i want them to show when printing out.

The embedded print option in web desk doesn't seem to auto-grow and print out the entire incident description, so the screenshot you see it looks like the description box shows about 6 lines, well if you looked at the incident there is more text underneath and several images (screenshots).

e.g like this:

we haven't looked at workspaces at all yet, from what I've read so far there is still too much functionality missing that would stop us moving over (plus the work involved in setting everything up again isn't an option currently).. though im sure printing HTML description fields used to work, i'd like to know if someone on 7.8 has HTML fields printing correctly.

support told me they would not raise a defect as they gave me the solution of making my description box non-html, which is absurd...

• 3. Re: Printing in WebDesk doesn't show the entire incident description

I agree.  I think you should push back on your Support Provider and get this re-opened as a bug stating their work around is not acceptable.

Julian

@MarXtar

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Printing in WebDesk doesn't show the entire incident description
                Apprentice

I agree, will re-raise with ivanti support and see what they have to say. I've got to say i'm interested in looking at workspaces but from what i've tried myself it seems none of our current setup 'migrates' into workspaces and we need to set everything up again?

• 5. Re: Printing in WebDesk doesn't show the entire incident description

I think with the 2017.3 release,  with Copy Rules and Change Group now supported, a lot of the barriers to migrating away from WebDesk as the primary Analyst tool are disappearing IMHO. 

My experience is that is the windows work in WebDesk now they should work in Workspaces with little to no mods.  I also like the improvements to the Service Catalogue and the "Slide in" forms and I gather this "slide in" functionality is going to crop up elsewhere in future and the HISTORY view is good.

I still think there are some holes still;  prompted queries, filtering on dates, calendars etc  Don't get me started on Calendaring though!!!  :0(

Apart from the need to create Analyst specific dashboards (which is a quick job anyway) though,  I would certainly otherwise recommend starting to build/test in Workspaces even if you don't go LIVE for now.

Julian

@MarXtar