9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2017 3:48 AM by Julian Wigman

Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions

Expert

Hi,

We have created a new relationship between Incident and CI, to allow for linking and unlinking Cis, following the advice given here:

https://community.ivanti.com/docs/DOC-38138

This has worked for us previously, but now whenever we try this we get an error when trying to use the action:

"...XXX failed with The attempt to perform action Link Incident on Application XXX failed. This action is not available at status Active. The Application may have changed status, please redisplay the window and try again."

(Application is a CI subtype).

We would expect such behaviour when linking two processes, and would normally fix by adding equivalent actions on the relevant status.

But we’ve not seen this when creating actionable relationships to Cis in the past, and can’t edit the CI process even if we wanted.

Any idea what might have changed/be causing this?

Many thanks.

(v2017.1)

• 1. Re: Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions
          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Interesting.  I wonder if it is because CI is now a process.

If it was a typical top-level business process we'd expect the "Add Parent Incident" action to be available from the target and applied at every status as optional action;  Might be worth checking your CI process available actions be I wouldn't have thought its would be there.

I can see a Support Case opening with your support provider on this one as I fear a scenario not tested when CI's moved to processes;  maybe it only works for system generated many-to-many relationships that involve CI.

Julian

@MarXtar

• 2. Re: Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions
            Motaz ITSMMVPGroup

That's because the CIs have processes and your actions should be available on the status. If you are not able to modify the CI process then this is related to a license thingy where you may need to purchase this an additional module. (Most of the cases I face are with customers who purchased the TUM licensing module which covers all the modules) so I just used to ask the licensing team to include the Asset Central modules into the original license key and everything works afterwards.

• 3. Re: Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions

I just recreated on my system here and assuming you have the correct license to enable ITAM processes and can edit the CI processes it looks OK to me.   I presume you added the Add, Detach and Create actions to both the Incident Collection (on CI) and the CI Collection (on Incident) as required? ie for the CI one...

2017-10-25_09-17-30.jpg

and then on the CI process (OOTB hardware one used as an example) you can add Add and Detach Incident Actions as optional actions at all statuses as per the normal rules of engagement.

2017-10-25_09-16-38.jpg

Is yours setup like this?

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 4. Re: Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions
                Darren.Bradshaw Expert

Hi Adam, When you say "to allow link and unlinking CI's", what are you trying to link / unlink them to? As we have request processes and task where we link CI's to users etc. Darren

• 5. Re: Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions

Adam's original question was for many-to-many CI linking rather than a single CI relationship that is normally on IPR's etc At least that is how I read the question.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 6. Re: Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions
                    Expert

Thanks - you are correct: Many-to-Many.

Unfortunately we don't have a licence to edit the CI process - nor do we want to.

However we believe that the ability to link multiple CIs to Incidents and requests is an integral part of any Service Desk product.

This functionality was previously available to us, and we have implemented it on other processes, but since the upgrade we can't now complete this work.

I suspect we can't downgrade to the previous version - I suppose we could try hacking some SQL to add the actions to CI!

To be honest, I suspect that Ivanti wouldn't remove such vital functionality, so it may be we are simply doing something wrong - so I have logged a call with support.

Cheers - Adam.

• 7. Re: Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions

Yep but I believe it is due to CI's now being a process.  Yes it used to work when they weren't processes for sure.

Now though it's the same as Add/Detach Child Incident; that wont work if you don't have the equivalent "Add Parent Incident" on the process as well as you well know.  So yep you have the default CI process but it is locked so how do you add in the optional actions required to make it link.  As I said I think this is a design hole with locking the CI process down unless you have a TUM/ITAM licence key and hence I'm interested to hear what Ivanti Support say on this one.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 8. Re: Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions
                        Mariusz.Maniak Expert

Adam,

As You haven't license for Asset manager - You can't change CI process, so You can't add CI to porcess as it was before upgrade. It was changed by Ivanti when ALM was EOL.

So to change CI lifecycle You have to use Asset Manager license.

• 9. Re: Linking CIs to Processes via optional Actions

or a TUM license.

Julian

@MarXtar