3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2017 1:52 AM by Julian Wigman

How does your organization use Service Desk for on-boarding a new employee?

sameralee Apprentice

Does anyone use Service Desk's incident module for new employee's onboarding process? If so, could you please share how it's set up? Just a brief explanation will do if you're not comfortable sharing too many details.  I need some ideas as we're in serious need of optimizing our process. Currently, we just have one ticket that's opened by HR then it gets passed around from one application owner to the next to grant permission.  Tickets often get lost, or people drop the ball, as you can imagine. A new employee could literally show up with no computer, no email account set up or access to anything for days.

• 1. Re: How does your organization use Service Desk for on-boarding a new employee?
          JayBetancourt Apprentice

We are using the Incident module for now, but they should really be under the Service Request.  What are planning on doing is firing off automatic tasks based on the Service Request to the necessary parties to complete their portion of the onboarding process.

• 2. Re: How does your organization use Service Desk for on-boarding a new employee?
            sameralee Apprentice

Thanks Jay, that's what I was thinking too.  I guess I would just like to see some real life examples to see how it looks at work

• 3. Re: How does your organization use Service Desk for on-boarding a new employee?
              Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

I agree with Jay and IMHO too the Service Request module is where I’d put too, even though there is an HR module, and you could build in there too and launch either from the Service Catalogue.  I've not met many customers where the OOTB HR processes are that useful either.

A challenge I always see with new hire processes is that people try to create forms that replicate paper and with loads of drop down lists and checkboxes for hardware, software and access requirements. Whilst I’d recommend a dedicated process for on-boarding, all of these checkboxes and dropdowns then need to be turned into actions and workflow via conditions, tasks, process branches etc and that leads to a process that isn't very flexible when it comes to wanting to add to the solution;  yea it's easy when you have a paper or SharePoint form but here we have Window Manager forms and workflow to maintain (different "kettle of fish" if you know that UK colloquialism!)

The Service Catalogue is great for picking lots of items and ensuring each captures their relevant info during creation and then is routed via the necessary authorisation and fulfillment teams.  It has bundles too that work if you want to fire off a bunch of discrete static catalogue items in one go but not good if you want optional bundle members selectable at runtime. Bundles would be great for on-boarding and you could create role based bundles for on-boarders; that does work in some organisations but for the most not I've found as they aren't that far advanced in such matters.

So where does this leave us?

I typically recommend customers have a small concise dedicated process for on-boarders where the base pack of common requirements are covered with limited form checkboxes and dropdowns for software, and the process would spawn child requests from these checkboxes and dropdown form selections on save that are based on normal Catalogue items (which can also be picked manually in the Catalogue as well).  What I mean here is the process captures basic HR user info and for IT equipment you limit to creating an AD/Email accounts, asking if they want desktop or laptop computer, whether the get a mobile phone or not and finally issue MS Office/Desktop software kit.  This is all I do under on-boarding as it means the process/forms can be kept "light" and hopefully not need much onwards maintenance as things change.  This ensures the minimum is done to ensure the request gets into the system as quick as possible from HR and IT have a fighting chance of having the equipment ready with the basics for when the new user starts. What I've noted in some organisations it that whilst HR may raise the requests, they can't do so without manager input and often in paper processes the form gets started by HR but then sits on their desk while they wait for information from managers on which of the myriad of form checkboxes to tick and thus keeping to “core” on-boarding questions light ( i.e. what pc type and do they need mobile phone basically) they can get the request open in the system much quicker. Nothing worse that HR asking Manager what new user should have, manager doesn't know as says “same as John”; yeah but Manager doesn't really know about those elevated privileges that user may have to “application x”  and then things start to go downhill later On as IT are left to pick up the pieces!

The process additionally creates the user in Service Desk immediately on save. Why, that is the second part..

Finally as HR save the Request one of the first things it then does is email the manager with basic details of the user and the basic IT equipment ordered so far and ASKS the Manager to now access Service Catalogue. (via "process approver" hyperlink in email)  to order any additional equipment and services for the user.

So HR have fulfilled their duty in this respect by getting the base request “ in play”  and giving IT visibility early on, and now it is the Managers job to request any optional IT services.  Because we created the user in Service Desk then request on behalf of team member is allowed via the Service Catalogue (at least via WebAccess though a tad more messy right now in Workspaces). Even if the Manager does nothing then at least IT can have the basics ready for start date and the user can request addition stuff they want themselves via the Service Catalogue with the Manager having no recourse to criticise IT as the action was in their power to action.

That is my approach, everybody wins and less chance of “ mud-slinging”!

Julian

@MarXtar

1 of 1 people found this helpful