10 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 3:17 PM by wynnb

How to send email all task owners in a Milestone

wynnb Apprentice

I'm looking for a way to send an email to all owners of tasks in a Release Milestone. I'm thinking a quick action would be best, but not sure how to automatically add all task owners (assignees) to the To: field of the email.

Anyone know how to write that function?

• 1. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone
          AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

Hi Bryan

I would Childfold through the milestones and the through the tasks on each milestone to get the task owners, a bit fiddly but that is the approach.  I will try to knock up the expression this evening for you.

• 2. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone
            wynnb Apprentice

That would be great - thank you!

• 3. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone

SO here is the expression:

$(Replace(ChildFold("ReleaseProject#",

RecId,

"ReleaseMilestone#.ReleaseAssociatesMilestone",

$(if ChildFold("ReleaseMilestone#",

RecId,

"Task#.ReleaseMilestoneContainsTask",

$(if EvalField("Employee#",  Owner_Valid,  "PrimaryEmail") in

(null,  "")

then ""

else EvalField("Employee#",  Owner_Valid,  "PrimaryEmail") + ";"),

"+") ==

then ""

else ChildFold("ReleaseMilestone#",

RecId,

"Task#.ReleaseMilestoneContainsTask",

$(if EvalField("Employee#",  Owner_Valid,  "PrimaryEmail") in

(null,  "")

then ""

else EvalField("Employee#",  Owner_Valid,  "PrimaryEmail") +

";"),

"+")),

"+"),

",",

""))

You cannot use it directly in a send email action to I would add a new field to the release object for group email (text [max]) call a composite action which builds the email address using the above expression and then in your send email action call your new mail field.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone
                wynnb Apprentice

Amazing.

Thanks Alasdair, I’ll give it a go!

• 5. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone
                  wynnb Apprentice

I set this up in STG, and it works just fine and would be perfect for automated emails, so thank you Alasdair.

However… my users are asking for a way to send a message to the task assignees in a Milestone, using the Activity History tab (New Email action).  I’d really like to have that list of addresses available as a group in the “Contacts related to ReleaseMilestone#” tab of the address book when using that New Email action.

For that, wouldn’t I need a relationship between the Milestone and Employee objects? In the Release object, I see ReleaseAssociatesEmployee, and EmployeeAssocaitedReleaseAsRRB (not my spelling – that’s an OOTB relationship…), but nothing like that in Milestone. Seems like I’d need the relationship and a way to populate the group for any given Milestone.

• 6. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone

Hi Bryan

I have got it working but run out of time to write it up for you I will do it tomorrow and post.

Alasdair

• 7. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone

Sorry a day late I was travelling.  Here are the steps for the Milestone (ReleaseProject#):

1. Add a new field to ReleaseMilstone OwnerEmailAddress (Text unicode [max])

2. Add a new quick action to The milestone (ReleaseProject#) in this case a poorly named AR - Test but this will update our new Owneremailaddress field

$(Replace(ChildFold("ReleaseMilestone#",     RecId,     "Task#.ReleaseMilestoneContainsTask",     $(if EmailAddress in (null,  "") then "" else EmailAddress + ";"),     "+"),   ",",   ""))

3. Add a new Triggered action to Tasks#Assignment on Insert or Update and ParentLink_Category == ReleaseMilestone

4. Run for Child "ReleaseMilestoneContainsTask"

5. On the ReleaseMilestone (ReleaseProject#) Add Use the Expression below in a send email quick action from the Release object:

• 8. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone
                        wynnb Apprentice

This is great Alasdair, I'll give it a try today.

BTW - when you're a goldmine, you never need to apologize.  ;-)

I truly appreciate your help.

• 9. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone

As someone just reminded me of this, did you get this working Bryan?

• 10. Re: How to send email all task owners in a Milestone
                            wynnb Apprentice

Thanks for the reminder-- I think I started this but had to put it aside for other priorities. I'll try it again as soon as I can and reply here.

Thanks again Alastair!