4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2017 7:38 AM by NicCo

Add DBAN to PXE menu ?

Rookie

Hi,

We are using LANDesk Management Suite 9.60 SP3 and we would like to add DBAN option to PXE menu.

Is it possible ? How can we do that ?

Thank you !

• 1. Re: Add DBAN to PXE menu ?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Urm - so ...

"Nominally yes" -- the PXE boot menu *CAN* be customised.

But since this is just a "boot & nuke" option, I'd argue it'd be better / safer to keep this as a public/anonymous script option in the PXE boot menu (if that's all you're doing). No point in re-inventing the wheel, and editing the PXE boot menu is something that isn't too hard to get wrong.

I would generally advise against a "straight up" PXE option that results in a wiped device purely on account of "never underestimate the levels of stupid from some users" ... so having that "WIPE the device" option being behind a key set of people / credentials tends to lower blood pressure and stress. Because it will be your fault (somehow) even though users clicked on things that they weren't supposed to .

But - again - if you do want to have this thing, while you CAN customise the PXE boot menu, I don't see any real reason to, unless the DBAN stuff does things beyond what a bit of googling seemed to indicate (which seems to be just a "wipe the HD" ... which you can already do via provisioning actions anyway).

• 2. Re: Add DBAN to PXE menu ?
            Rookie

Thank you for your response.

Could you explain how to add "as a public/anonymous script option in the PXE boot menu" ?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: Add DBAN to PXE menu ?
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Well - you need to be on IEM 2016.x or newer (just noticed you're on 9.6).

Given then 9.6 is going EOL soon, you may want to look at up-lifting that anyway.

All the rest is explained here -- How to allow anonymous login public templates .

• 4. Re: Add DBAN to PXE menu ?
                Rookie

Thank you I'll try that after our 9.6 to IEM upgrade