5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2017 11:32 PM by Julian Wigman

Multi Lingual Reminders

Rookie

Does anyone have any ideas about how best to approach send Reminders in different languages? I have a global service desk covering over 30 languages and the end users will need to have all their email notifications in their local languages. I was thinking of saving all the templates in a New Business Object or reference list against the Culture, but I cannot find the culture business object nor any link back to the user business object.

• 1. Re: Multi Lingual Reminders
          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Karl

You can do with a category object and some calculations.

Check out the multilingual content pack at Multilingual Content Pack

Personally I extend the calcs a bit and have a few more depths in my category tree to make it more flexible.

So my two calcs for Reminders would be like this; one each to put in the Subject and Body of the Reminder Automatic action respectively:

2017-11-04_09-17-22.jpg

and similarly for Assignments:

2017-11-04_07-10-57.jpg

The red areas are the only bits you need to change and to be honest just paste into notepad and change all of the red stuff to match your process, then just open each reminder/assignment in the process and cut out the old static content and paste into your new category list and then paste back the calc in its place and just change the ID to match wherever you saved it in the category list.

Note my category list is called "EmailTemplates" under the System module in Object Designer.

I have 2 attributes under this object "Subject" and "Body" where you paste the static text (which can contain placeholders by the way as usual).

So my category tree has 4 levels

Level 1 - Module

Level 2 - Process

Level 3 - Task (Reminder or Assignment)

Level 4 - Culture

eg

Incident Management

Incident v1.0

Assignment

en-gb

A001

A002

A003

de

A001

A002

A003

Reminder

en-gb

R001

R002

de

R001

R002

Request Management

Request v1.3

Assignment

en-gb

A001

A002

A003

de

A001

A002

A003

Reminder

en-gb

R001

R002

de

R001

R002

Hope this makes sense;  you can have multilingual reminders and assignments across all modules and process versions and if a new culture gets added then you just have to add translations to the category tree and not touch the process.

As an aside I use this outside of needing multilingual anyway as it means we can later update texts a lot more easier that doing it in Process Designer data action instances.

Mark as correct/helpful if you like.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Multi Lingual Reminders

BTW I couldn't post my calc code as the forum destroys all indenting and we know how important that is for BOO Calculations.

If you want to email me a PM via my email on my profile I can send you the code to save you a bit of typing if you want.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Multi Lingual Reminders
              Rookie

Thanks for the reply, this is exactly what I was looking for. I did see the multi-lingual content pack before, but dismissed it as I was on a later version and it says to use the localization feature.

Your explanation is excellent and I am excited by the prospects (sad I know ), so this will be my Saturday project to get this working.

Once I have success I will ensure that I mark your post as an accepted answer, like a good community member.

• 4. Re: Multi Lingual Reminders
                Rookie

Hi JulianWigman,

So this weekend, I have managed to update all the emails to now run as you described. This is great. But I have hit a snag.

I now want to send emails to our end users when they have not replied to an request for more information. Eg in the "With Customer" status. I have created my query easier enough to select the notification group, created my email templates as described above, but when to create my Scheduled Task to carry out a Add Reminder action and edit the Window Data, I'm not about the enter a calculation. Do you have any more inspiration how to get around setting up a group of queries and scheduled tasks for each language?

• 5. Re: Multi Lingual Reminders

HI Karl

You lost me on the bit where you say "....

edit the Window Data, I'm not about the enter a calculation...."  Huh spell checker gone awry?

I'm going to assume you mean that you aren't allowed to enter a calculation when setting the action instance data on the Add Reminder action in your Schedule Manager job.

So,  the way I'd solve is to create a windowless action in Process Designer ( leave association with window = false) and call it something like "Send Reminder Email" (and later remember to set privileges for the Analyst roles etc).  Add this new action to your process at the "With Customer" status and feed this into a normal reminder automatic action that is setup with calculations to the language variant emails. Link this action back to the "With Customer" status so that you've formed a mini action loop.  Now invoke the "Send Reminder Email" instead from the Schedule Manager job.

Let me know if this does the trick.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd