5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2017 12:31 PM by MarkLarvo

Submitting a service request on behalf of someone else

ggarcia@marchofdimes.org Apprentice

It seems straight forward to create an incident on behalf of a customer, but is it possible/how can that be done for a request offering?

We often have customers call the phone, circumventing our self-service portal and want to be able to get a request created on their behalf.

Thanks,
      Geoff

• 1. Re: Submitting a service request on behalf of someone else
          MarkLarvo Apprentice

G,

Check out this article which explains the hidden fields you need to use in each form and the Update block that passes it into the fields of the actual SR. I've used this in testing and also testing Self-service.

I have the basics and just test out the Role state so that the boxes only appear in the Self Service role and not the standard data entry screens. I'm also populating the self-service user name as the Requestor by default. If the user changes it to someone else then the Reported By box appears with their name populated. This gives them a nice confirmation and follows that way we report our "Alt-Callers" in Incident.

https://community.ivanti.com/docs/DOC-54846#comment-27821

Here is my original question. I was beating my head against the wall trying to get this to work so hopefully I can save you some frustration!

https://community.ivanti.com/thread/59355

Best of luck! Reply back and I'll try to help if I can.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Submitting a service request on behalf of someone else

Thanks Mark - I was hoping to be able to operate a request the way an analyst can with an incident - where the fields don't appear on the form itself.  But after reading through the post you shared I definitely see the value in just adding the field to each request.  Thanks so much!

• 3. Re: Submitting a service request on behalf of someone else
              MarkLarvo Apprentice

So what you can do is hide the Requested By and Requested For when CurrentUserRole != "Self Service". This way the form gathers the correct information in self-service mode and hides those same fields when your service desk staff use the form through the main interface. Make sure you don't let the workflow update those two fields so they retain the data when used in the main interface.

After figuring this out for a demo I was sidetracked by Knowledge. We are about to go back to our Incident and Service Request development.

• 4. Re: Submitting a service request on behalf of someone else

Hey Mark,

Is there anyway to configure this at the system level, or any ways to improve the reusability of the code rather than duplicating for ever request offering?

• 5. Re: Submitting a service request on behalf of someone else
                  MarkLarvo Apprentice

G,

Wouldn't that be nice... I was told No. The suggestion was to create a Template SR and put all of the hard to do things in it. Or a few templates that are preconfigured. Then just remove the items you don't need when building out new items.

I don't have a real world example for you since we paused our SR launch. I do have to get it ready by 3/1 so the pressure is kicking in.

It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy one on this approach. In an environment such as ours, a law firm, it is rare that a partner would ever make their own request.

Good luck and I'll post more in the new year!