2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2017 9:08 AM by phoffmann

Best practises for creating an IEM UAT test environment?

AaronWills Apprentice

Hi there,

I'd like to update our IEM core from 2017.1SU1 to 2017.3 (in order to hopefully resolve a BSOD bug that's popping up on some machines who's agent has been updated from 9.6sp3 -> 2017.1SU1).

However, before I do this on the production core I'd like to test the update in a lab environment.

I have updated a test core now to 2017.3, I've rebuilt the agents and created a self contained exe agent and have installed this on a test workstation (hoping to install on another 3-4 for testing the BSOD doesn't occur).

As the UAT core contains a backup of the live database I've disabled the scheduler service so no tasks are run on production devices.

Question is, is there a recommended series of tests you can run through to verify most systems are functional, without affecting live devices?  Does anyone else have a UAT testing procedure they use before updating IEM on their production core?

I can run tests such as software distribution to the handful of devices with the UAT agent, but I would have to enable the scheduler service for this wouldn't I....and that may potentially mean old tasks start running against devices, unless I clear every one out first perhaps.

• 1. Re: Best practises for creating an IEM UAT test environment?
          michael.odriscoll SupportEmployee

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for posting to the Ivanti Community!

Sorry that it seems no one has the answer to be able to assist you on this yet.  Did you manage to get any further information on this? Please share anything you deem useful and the community may be able to offer some help.

If not then please do consider the other ways to engage with us to get assistance:

https://community.ivanti.com/community/contact-support

• 2. Re: Best practises for creating an IEM UAT test environment?
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Heyas - a couple of things:

Unless you moved the cert from your production Core to your test core, you shouldn't have issues with the test core interfering with live clients (since the certs won't match, the clients will not do as told). That said, it's still a good idea to clear out the scheduled tasks, if only to not have the UAT core spin in its wheels.

There's no real "standard" for UAT, as "every customer is different, uses a different combination of features and in a different WAY".

Key points though to look at that I'd suggest:

- Test various hardware (especially newer kit) for provisioning purposes (DRIVERS & NIC-drivers especially). You'll obviously need the Scheduler up & running for this - hence the "clear out the tasks" before turning it on advice .

- Ensure Inventory works (should usually be a no-brainers, but never know in case something weird happens).

... the rest is by and large down to "what features do you use & how much / how important are they to you".

SO - if you use RC for MAC a lot ... make sure that's still fine. But if you don't have/use Linux, then you don't need to test anything there. By and large it's really about identifying WHAT you use, HOW you use it (Provisioning involves Software Distribution, Inventory & other factors - such as drivers in WINPE for instance) ... and essentially build a dependency map.

If - for instance - you don't care about Provisioning at all, then obviously you don't need to test there. If - on the other hand - you care about Provisioning a lot, then it's especially worth checking out your "latest hardware" tablets (Surfaces are "always good" for introducing various headaches for instance) to work down.

Does that help you any?

1 of 1 people found this helpful