6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2017 5:46 AM by Julian Wigman

Notifications for multiple users and groups

DCAA Apprentice

How to send all kinds of notifications (new assignment, resolve, close, cancelled, approve, ) to specific group like Service Desk.

In the below window for new assignment and there is no option to notify the required group, so should I create a notification box after the assignment?

The below window is a notification window after the cancellation action, it is configured correctly to send notifications to service desk whenever the request is cancelled?

Is there any other option to include the service desk in the sent notifications? Is it possible to use the value selection to select more than one group including the required group? (as in the below screenshot)

• 1. Re: Notifications for multiple users and groups
          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

You are correct that for Assignment and Reminder windows you can only send to ONE Group And/or USER in one action so if you need more in specific places in your process then you need to add separate automatic actions. You can think of this being a negative feature but hey the upside is that you can send different message content that is more appropriate for that Group too.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Notifications for multiple users and groups
            andreas.lindner Expert

Hi  DCAA,

in addition to JulianWigman, make sure, that your users will receive the group notifications. Usually, when adding one or more users to a group, a window containing multiple checkboxes will appear. There you can set the value for receiving group messages.

It will be easier, if you look it up in the SQL table tps_user_group (the column would be tps_receive_group_messages and for the specific user and the specific group it has to be 1 = true). Or you can look it up in your Console in Administration - Administration - Usermanagement. Choose a user and open the hierarchy until you see the users groups. In the rightclick menu you can select modify user group. There you will find the window I mentioned again.

Also there is something in the back of my mind, that says, if user and group are selected, only the user will receive the message. But I think that is only valid for assignment notifications. Take a look at this article if you wanna try it out: Service Desk Notifications/Outbound Mail Technical Architecture Guide

Cheers!

Andreas

• 3. Re: Notifications for multiple users and groups

Yes I thought about that too andreas.lindner but having read the question a couple of times the question didn't appear to be how to notify the Group exactly but more how to notify the Group selected by value type, plus the Service Desk Support Group; ie a "CC for Groups".

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 4. Re: Notifications for multiple users and groups
                andreas.lindner Expert

Ah, yes, JulianWigman, now that you mention it, I see it too.

Hmm, it might be a start, but I'm not sure, if it is the resolution. I was working with collections a while ago, in order to create multiple tasks from "task templates". So the following suggestion might work:

If there is a collection of users or groups, that can be used as source (e.g. the assignments as in the screenshot above) for the email recipients, it might be possible to use them to generate multiple emails. If selecting the group as runtime value in your Add Reminder action, just make sureto tick the box, so that the runtime will return all collection items (see screenshot below). This will cause the Add Reminder to execute as often as items in your collection. In other words, for every group the runtime value returns, the Add Reminder will execute itself (e.g. 5 Assignments with groups = 5 Add Reminders). You can also add filters to just return some items out of the collection.

14-11-2017 08-45-28.png

Sorry for the huge screenshot. Something went wrong with my screenshot tool :-)

This should also work with any other collection of users and/or groups. At least it did work for the tasks as I mentioned above (there I used a collection that contained an assignment group, some text and some other attributes, that I used as runtime value for my tasks).

Might be worth a try?!

Andreas

• 5. Re: Notifications for multiple users and groups
                  martin_clh Apprentice

I have a similiar requirement, see watch this ticket function , but "select all collection items" doesn't work for addreminders. I still get only a mail to the last recipient of the collection.

• 6. Re: Notifications for multiple users and groups

That's a shame.

Julian