3 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2009 7:59 AM by phoffmann

How does the Software Distribution Package pull down get populated

Rookie

When configuring the provisioning template for OSD and adding a "Distribute Software" action to the system configuration there is a pull down of applications. A LOT of applications. Many that I cannot account for and many more than are found in the All Distribution Packages list in the console. Where does LANDesk pull this information?

Thanks,

Greg Smith

Fulton Schools

• 1. Re: How does the Software Distribution Package pull down get populated
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

From packages that are configured in LANDesk. Everything you see in the "install package" is based on a package defined in LANDesk.

Is this a point of concern to you? The idea is to make things "easier" by using existing information, rather than you having to go through the motions of (again) defining a package "just for provisioning" (which wouldn't make a whole load of sense, since we already should have all the information we need).

Make more sense now? .

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: How does the Software Distribution Package pull down get populated
            Rookie

Yes that makes sense but my concern is why is there so many and why can't I locate them elsewhere in the console? Which begs the question, are they valid packages and if not where do I go to clean up the clutter?

g

• 3. Re: How does the Software Distribution Package pull down get populated
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

It shows all of the packages - you probably do not see various user's "private" packages in the Console UI (i.e. - their "My Packages" as opposed to "Public Packages).

If you're a LANDesk (!) administrator, you can see them under "User Packages" (and go through the various users).

Alternatively, if you are not afraid of using a bit of SQL, run the following against your landesk database:

""

select * from PACKAGE order by PACKAGE_IDN

""

... at a guess, you will see the exact same list as you do in Provisioning (the frindge benefit here is that you can also easily see which CONSOLEUSER_IDN a package belongs to, or whether it is public). CONSOLEUSER_IDN == "public", and anything else is belonging to a user (which you can look up in the CONSOLEUSER table, if in doubt / if you want to do a bit of SQL wizardry).

(I would rather doubt that we display stuff that "isn't there" ... Provisioning doesn't tend to make stuff up on its own, let alone package definitions)

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead