5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2017 12:34 AM by Julian Wigman

Service Catalouge for analysts

Apprentice

I have an issue where all of the analysts should click on the Service Request button of the service to get into the service form or otherwise (if analyst clicks on the empty space of the service) it will take him/her to the Configuration Item.

Below window appears to the analyst if he/she clicks on the empty space rater than clicking on the service request button

Kindly tell me if there is any solution to this issue.

Should I change the configuration for the analysts so they don't use the self service and instead they use the web-access to do their work? or is there a way or work around to configure the self service in a way that the analyst can not access the configuration item?

• 1. Re: Service Catalouge for analysts
          John Haddad Expert

Hi Ahmad,

this article will help you :

Launch a new request when an End User clicks on a Service in the Service Catalogue

Thanks

Mohammad Haddad

• 2. Re: Service Catalouge for analysts
            Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Hi DCCA

The easiest way is to create a read-only window with minimal fields on the “Service“ configuration item object (and any other CI types you use in the catalogue) and then associate that window/object combination via a window rule for the whatever view the Analysts get. I do the same for the end user view as well BTW.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 3. Re: Service Catalouge for analysts
              Apprentice

Hi Julian,

I'm not sure if I got it right but I have more than 50 CIs under service so it is going to take a lot of time to go through them and change the fields to read only

• 4. Re: Service Catalouge for analysts

DCCA , you may have 50 CI’s but they are all using the same window for CI type “Service” ( don't get confused with different windows you may have for the one or more Request windows that the 50 Service Catalogue CI’s launch.

Create a new window under the “Service” Configuration item in window manager (maybe called something like “Service (Ready Only)“; add the title and details fields only say and make those 2 fields read-only.  Then associate this window with a view that the Analysts use so that it overrides the default window for this CI type.  I’ve some seen customers just display a message on this window directing users to return to the main form and others even creating an HTML button to launch the Request from that form. My design ethos has been to just create a cut-down read-only “summary” form when they click the catalogue item directly rather than the “Request Service“ button.

Normally I’d only add these to an end-user view as Analysts would usually create Requests via WebDesk but no reason Analysts cant have as well though.  Only issue you may have to be careful of is whether Analysts can also create new Services via the WebDesk UI as well;  not normally an issue as new Services usually added and published via Console.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Service Catalouge for analysts

I should also add that IMHO this read only window becomes even more important in the Workspaces Service Catalogue because the new tiled layout means you don’t have the opportunity to present more detail on the catalogue main tree (just Image and Title) so you need this drill-down window to provide the user with more information.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd