6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2017 8:35 AM by phoffmann

send machine name to core server

jonl1 Rookie

Id trying to pinpoint which application on client installs of Ivanti pushes machine info, specifically the device name, back to the core server 

Machines will naturally sync this info but id like to have an on demand method should we be deploying the client and have to rename the device shortly after.

I have a hunch one of the following handles this process : GatherProducts.exe, SoftMon.exe, or PolicySync.exe

• 1. Re: send machine name to core server
          amagi Expert

It's an inventory info, so your process has to be ldiscn32.exe

This doc can help: About Inventory Scanner Switches

• 2. Re: send machine name to core server
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yep - what amagi said -- all that is "basic inventory data", so the inventory scanner it is for this.

If you could explain a bit more context about WHY you want to what's sending this (and how/etc), we may be able to give you a more precise answer.

It sounds like you're asking for just a single piece of the puzzle (that amagi has helped with), but I'm guessing there's more ... so if we understand what you're trying to achieve, we can give better advice to help you along. This can be particularly important since I'm guessing you're reasonably new to the whole Management Suite thing (since the inventory scanner is usually one of the first things folks run into).

Also - welcome to the community & the Ivanti family.

• 3. Re: send machine name to core server
              jonl1 Rookie

Following an agent install on a machine, we often have to rename the machine soon after and often the new name takes a long time to be reported to core, so Id like to be able to run the inventory scan application from the client so the new name is synced to core on-demand.

Thanks for the welcome

• 4. Re: send machine name to core server

Gotcha.

Super simple, in that case.

Just run the following command & you should be sorted:

LDISCN32.EXE /F /SYNC

... where ...

• "/F" forces a software scan (also includes custom data -- so "for completeness").
                • "/SYNC" forces a full synchronisation scan - so non-delta.

... that should sort you out.

• 5. Re: send machine name to core server
                  jonl1 Rookie

Awesome, thanks!

Another question while im here - Im going to make this into a Windows Action so other techs can use use it and id like to make it avaliable via the Portal Manager. Can I display it in the portal but on a per user basis (rather than per machine)?

• 6. Re: send machine name to core server

You could target users, sure.

You could target it to LDAP users and just target something like a "CN=*" type wildcard ... or more refined, if you want. Limit is your imagination (an LDAP structure).

Personally, I'd just include the command it into whatever provisioning process you've got that's renaming devices (I'm hoping that's automated? If not, that's another opportunity to save time) ... and just run it at the end. Take the human factor out of it.