9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2017 12:56 PM by mushoku

Ticket submission portal

mushoku Apprentice

I'm looking to use a ticket submission portal.  We had one previously with Service Desk using an integrated login account and experienced issues with the login session timing out too quickly.  I am wondering if it is possible to set up an unauthenticated ticket submission portal - anyone who can access the page could go there and create a ticket.

Has anyone set something up like this?  Having a difficult time locating anything in documentation that covers this.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Ticket submission portal
          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

IMHO you have given up too easily on the logged on session when there are plenty of articles on this community about extending the session timeout including this one Increasing the session idle timeout time for Web Access

ServiceDesk is session based over IIS so even if you dont login then you will still be subject to IIS timeout values so better just to get these right in the first place IMHO. Most of ttimeout woes are down to IIS settings!

In WebDesk you can setup an anonymous landing page and launch processes from there but this still uses a user designated as an “anonymous user” and you still need to privilege that account accordingly.  I have used the anonymous page for general noticeboards in the past and to launch generic lifecycles like for example a ServiceDesk Explicit Logon password reset process.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Ticket submission portal

I should add to that the Anonymous Logon page is not available in Workspaces; only WebDesk/Self-Service.

Setting up the Anonymous logon is in the online help here

Service Desk and Asset Manager help center

Then it is just down to configuring what you wanton the dashboard you associate with th “Landing Page” and ensuring the SelfServiceGuest role has the neccessary permissions to process objects and actions.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 3. Re: Ticket submission portal
              mushoku Apprentice

I'm re-reviewing the session timeouts.  IIS and Service Desk are now both set to 240 on the application server (explicit login), keeping at 20 for web server (integrated login), we will see how this affects things.

For the anonymous portal, did you happen to find a way to ensure that it always redirects back to ticket creation page, even upon submitting?  The ideal would be that, once a ticket is submitted, there's a confirmation with ticket number, followed by automatic redirection back to the ticket submission window (ready to be filled in).  I haven't gotten there yet myself, so just asking in case you already have this and can save me a bit of time.

BTW, we are still on 7.8, haven't quite gotten to upgrading.  Soon.

Thank you!

• 4. Re: Ticket submission portal
                mushoku Apprentice

I'm learning a bit about this anonymous login function, which sounds great.  In fact, I think it's exactly what I'm looking for.  Having a little difficulty getting it to work.

We already have the account, which already has an EndUser role associated, and even have had a dashboard already created.  After configuring via the server's WebDesk System Configuration, I've already performed an iisreset, but am still getting the default login page w/ no dashboard.  Perhaps there is another step for our version?  I think I'm right on the cusp of finding it, just haven't been able to.

Thank you!

• 5. Re: Ticket submission portal
                  mushoku Apprentice

Well, looks like it just took extra time, but isn't working as expected.  Upon login with the guest account, I get a login on the left and the dashboard on the right (which is good), but get permission errors every time I try to log in with an account after that.  I'll keep playing with it, tips still appreciated.

• 6. Re: Ticket submission portal

So you’ll need to add privileges (process and non-process) against the selfserviceguest role.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 7. Re: Ticket submission portal
                      mushoku Apprentice

Sorry, I misspoke.  What I get is a 403 forbidden error when going to /ServiceDesk.WebAccess/ss/Home/Index.rails (which is what logging into Self Service with guest account or out from Self Service with user account takes me to).

I've established the following two instances that result in 403 errors:

1) After logging in with the guest account, I can manually change the URL to /ServiceDesk.WebAccess/ss/ and will get redirected to the dashboard.  Alternatively, I manually change the URL to /ServiceDesk.WebAccess/ and get redirected to the webdesk login URL but with the self service blue background, log in as guest, and get the dashboard.

2) After logging in as non-guest then logging out, I have to change the URL to /ServiceDesk.WebAccess/wd/ (or without wd/) and will get redirected to the WebDesk login page.

This server is using explicate login as the guest is not something we wish to use an integrated login for.  Is this the reason for all these errors?

• 8. Re: Ticket submission portal

Make sure the user you are using as the anonymous user account does NOT have a password set. 

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 9. Re: Ticket submission portal
                          mushoku Apprentice

That was definitely it.  We keep passwords on all accounts, so I'll have to see if this is a risk our organization is willing to accept.  Thank you for all the help!