4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 28, 2017 7:08 AM by joetetley

How to add multiple owners and CC field to Incidents

mmartinvegue Apprentice

By default, Incident has only one Owner and does not have a CC field.  What is the best way to add multiple owners to the same incident and how to add a CC field so anyone in CC receives an email.

Not sure if the below would work or break things but I added multiple Owner dropdowns.

• 1. Re: How to add multiple owners and CC field to Incidents
          AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

How many owners is multiple?  If it is a t a team level then use the team email address and add it to the communication (email) templates and rules.

If it varies per incident then you could add a new tab to hold multiple owners and then childfold them in to an email address field on the incident record and use that.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to add multiple owners and CC field to Incidents
            joetetley Apprentice

Not sure why you would want multiple owners on a ticket - someone needs to take overall ownership of the ticket to make sure it is progressed - this is a fairly fundamental ITIL principle.

There are a few different ways you could approach people keeping an eye or being informed on a ticket:

• If there are different tasks then use task/assignment to assign each piece of work to the individual.
            • You could use the pin it functionality so that people could pin the Incident and keep track of it.
            • You could also create a monitoring field to store the e-mail address or list of e-mail addresses (separated by a semi-colon), then set up a business rule to trigger when the Incident is updated and fire off a quick action notification to the list of addresses stored in the monitoring field.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to add multiple owners and CC field to Incidents
              mmartinvegue Apprentice

Hi joetetley, thanks for that info that is very helpful. Our current ticketing system is configured with multiple owners but your right I should not use it this way.  I think your monitoring field to store a list of e-mail addresses (separated by a semi-colon) would be perfect. I am new to Service Manager so could you please give me some guidance on this? Would this be a text field and how does it store a list?

• 4. Re: How to add multiple owners and CC field to Incidents
                joetetley Apprentice

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I was more thinking that people would type in the addresses however, you could do this with the Address Book.

* Create a new text field in your Incident Object call it say MonitorEmails.

* Drag the new field onto the form and format appropriately

* In the same layout cell as the new field drag an Address Book button (under the controls - Other in the left hand pane).  It will automatically associate with the text field in the same cell.

* I'd suggest removing the Address Book Label and just leaving the image to save space.

* In Business Rules create a triggered rule for when the object is updated which will send a notification.

* The action should then be able to send a notification to the addresses listed in the MonitorEmails field.