I rather recommend this question to be submitted as a case with Support as from the overall description I would not have expected it either but there are some additional things/settings to know and also some research necessary to confirm or even to submit a record with Development for an unexpected logical behavior of GoldMine.
Especially I seem not to understand what happened between the step
I retrieved them into the dataset2 and now the database had a little over 600 contact records.
As this seems to me that you got what you want and you even confirmed that the 483 + 145 were there???
The customer who uses the contact2 dataset called yesterday and said all her 482 records were gone. I was hoping it was a Record Owner/Curtaining issue since they relied heavily on that and perhaps the transfer set did something to reverse the record ownership - wishful thinking. The records were gone. Only the 145 records from the transfer set yesterday were there.
So it seems there is missing something between the check you made, which seems to confirm that the 2nd transfer set was not responsible for deleting those records in the first place (as otherwise how would you be able to see a little over 600 contact records in the second contact set? and the next recognition that the original 482/483 records are gone missing?
So is this a normal feature that the retrieval would look at all deleted contact records from the original dataset?
I would not really have expected that but to be honest I never really tested it or I simply forgot that I did a while ago, nevertheless I tried to test it now and also in my testing I am getting exactly what you described UNTIL the confirmation that there were now a little over 600 contact records. So it seems I am missing a further step (both databases show exactly as expected
Contact Set 1 original contact set >> original count 41004, after deleting the records after the first successful sync >> 41000, which also remained after the second sync as you did not state you deleted them too.
Contact Set 2 additional contact set >> Original count 0 (as it was a fresh contact set) >> after first sync >> count 4 (as expected as my filter contained 4 records), after second sync >> count 7 (as expected as my second filter conained 3 records)
Here some screenshots from my testing (created a filter with 4 records Twitter = Lois) >> created a sync set
Did read in the transfer set into a second contact set >> verified there are 4 records
I then deleted the 4 records and marked other 4 records with Twitter = Lois via the Deletion Wizard for the Filter
now I created another filter for the still missing records in the second contact set
and created another transfer set with this filter (I marked also sync deletions (actually I marked everything to sync) - identical as above only this time with the new filter (so 3 records only to be expected)
I synced in the Transfer set into my second Contact Set
and had therefore then 7 records as expected
So it seems I am now at the step where you confirmed you have a little over 600 records.
So the transfer sets themselves are not supposed to delete the data unless there are some further steps missing.
Again I recommend to submit a case with GoldMine Support but of course we can discuss also here further.
Have a good day and week
Michaela, you basically have the steps correct. I will take your suggestion and submit it as a case.
Thank you so much for looking at this. I'll keep you posted.