2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2017 5:57 AM by LHurse

records deleted when retrieving transfer set that were outside the sync filter

LHurse Apprentice

GMPE v2017.1.0

Four days ago, I created a 2nd contact set for a customer because they wanted a set of 482 contact records separated from the main business dataset.

Instead of Copy/Move records, I've had better luck, in the past, just creating a transfer set because I didn't need to include customizations (included when creating the 2nd dataset) and also wanted to exclude emails since they would be in the shared database.  Once the records were safely retrieved in the 2nd dataset, I could delete them from the main dataset.

Created a sync filter for just the 482 contacts, based on the Record Type field, to be retrieved in the dataset2; Retrieved the 483 contacts just fine into dataset2.

After reviewing dataset2 and happy with the results, I went back into original dataset, used the same filter and deleted the 483 contact records.

Yesterday, we were told that we should have also included about 145 additional records, with a different Record Type that are shared between the two divisions.  I created a filter for these 145 records in the original dataset and created a transfer set.  I retrieved them into the dataset2 and now the database had a little over 600 contact records.

Nothing was done on the original contact set because we were just copying and not moving.

The customer who uses the contact2 dataset called yesterday and said all her 482 records were gone.  I was hoping it was a Record Owner/Curtaining issue since they relied heavily on that and perhaps the transfer set did something to reverse the record ownership - wishful thinking.  The records were gone.  Only the 145 records from the transfer set yesterday were there.

When I created the transfer set for the 145 contact records to be retrieved yesterday into dataset2, I included deletions in the sync wizard, thinking that it would only include deletions within that filter.  So is this a normal feature that the retrieval would look at all deleted contact records from the original dataset?

Fortunately, I made a backup of the original database before I began and I had a copy of the original transfer set.  However, they have lost 2 days of entries.

All I have are the contact set logs with the deletion flags. 

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: records deleted when retrieving transfer set that were outside the sync filter
          michaela.witters SupportEmployee

Hi Lois,

I rather recommend this question to be submitted as a case with Support as from the overall description I would not have expected it either but there are some additional things/settings to know and also some research necessary to confirm or even to submit a record with Development for an unexpected logical behavior of GoldMine.

Especially I seem not to understand what happened between the step

I retrieved them into the dataset2 and now the database had a little over 600 contact records.

As this seems to me that you got what you want and you even confirmed that the 483 + 145 were there???

The customer who uses the contact2 dataset called yesterday and said all her 482 records were gone.  I was hoping it was a Record Owner/Curtaining issue since they relied heavily on that and perhaps the transfer set did something to reverse the record ownership - wishful thinking.  The records were gone.  Only the 145 records from the transfer set yesterday were there.

So it seems there is missing something between the check you made, which seems to confirm that the 2nd transfer set was not responsible for deleting those records in the first place (as otherwise how would you be able to see a little over 600 contact records in the second contact set? and the next recognition that the original 482/483 records are gone missing?

So is this a normal feature that the retrieval would look at all deleted contact records from the original dataset?

I would not really have expected that but to be honest I never really tested it or I simply forgot that I did a while ago, nevertheless I tried to test it now and also in my testing I am getting exactly what you described UNTIL the confirmation that there were now a little over 600 contact records. So it seems I am missing a further step (both databases show exactly as expected

Contact Set 1 original contact set >> original count 41004, after deleting the records after the first successful sync >> 41000, which also remained after the second sync as you did not state you deleted them too.

Contact Set 2 additional contact set >> Original count 0 (as it was a fresh contact set) >> after first sync >> count 4 (as expected as my filter contained 4 records), after second sync >> count 7 (as expected as my second filter conained 3 records) 

Here some screenshots from my testing (created a filter with 4 records Twitter = Lois) >> created a sync set

Did read in the transfer set into a second contact set >> verified there are 4 records

I then deleted the 4 records and marked other 4 records with Twitter = Lois via the Deletion Wizard for the Filter

now I created another filter for the still missing records in the second contact set

and created another transfer set with this filter (I marked also sync deletions (actually I marked everything to sync) - identical as above only this time with the new filter (so 3 records only to be expected)

I synced in the Transfer set into my second Contact Set

and had therefore then 7 records as expected

So it seems I am now at the step where you confirmed you have a little over 600 records.

So the transfer sets themselves are not supposed to delete the data unless there are some further steps missing.

Again I recommend to submit a case with GoldMine Support but of course we can discuss also here further.

Have a good day and week

Kind regards

Michaela

• 2. Re: records deleted when retrieving transfer set that were outside the sync filter
            LHurse Apprentice

Michaela, you basically have the steps correct.  I will take your suggestion and submit it as a case.

Thank you so much for looking at this.  I'll keep you posted.

Lois