6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2017 8:46 AM by Fdimauro

LanDesk Ivanti 2017-3 Ping sweep

Rookie

Hi All,

I need to have an inventory of all my devices connected to my network and I’m evaluating the Ivanti2017-3 IT Asset Management Software.

I already installed the trial of Ivanti CORE and I successfully run the unmanaged devices discovery and the WMI discovery.

On my network I have a firewall and several VLAN under this firewall.

I read that can I install the Remote scanner on a PC under the firewall and perform the WMI discovery for all the VLAN under firewall(Only one Remote Scanner under the firewall)

I cannot have the Admin credential of all the devices so I cannot discovery all with WMI .

All these devices have to be included on the inventory DB.

Is there a way to run the Unmanaged Devices Discovery or similar function (such as a PingSweep) on these VLAN under firewall?

(I cannot have one remotescanner per firewall VLAN, just one Remote Scanner under the firewall that can reach all the VLAN)

Is there any other solution/architecture that can I implement?

Thanks

• 1. Re: LanDesk Ivanti 2017-3 Ping sweep
          nick.evans SupportEmployee

I moved this over to LANDESK > Endpoint Manager and Endpoint Security > Inventory > Discussions,  as the original space that it was in  tends to only get visibility for Community related website requests/questions.

Nick

• 2. Re: LanDesk Ivanti 2017-3 Ping sweep
            Recursion SupportEmployee

Hi,

If you want inventory data for a device, there's no way around needing admin credentials. For both WMI and Agentless Inventory, the agent needs to be able to contact the machine and access its resources.

If you just want to discover them, you could use Data Analytics Discovery Services to run an snmp scan. An snmp scan has the option to "Add device to database if responds to ping" i.e. it will add it even if it can't inventory it. You'll only get basic information, similar to a UDD scan.

For the VLAN side of it, as long as the scanner machine can route to all of those VLANs then you're fine. You just need to add those vlans to the config.

The help page for DA Discovery Services should have info on how to create that config.

• 3. Re: LanDesk Ivanti 2017-3 Ping sweep
              Rookie

Hi,

thanks! the SNMP with "add device to DB if responds to ping" would be a perfect solution!!

I configured it as described on the DA Discovery Services help, I also the ping to the machine from the server works but the machine is not added to the console.

Do you have some advice to troubleshoot this?

thanks a lot

Francesco

• 4. Re: LanDesk Ivanti 2017-3 Ping sweep
                Rookie

I found this log:

Do you know why the machine is not added to the Devices?

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:14 PM: Arguments = /CFG=9 /ADDRSTR=10.246.151.12 /LINK=Device.Network.TCPIP.Address /RET=C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\MP_Log\cdd5e937-1c6a-4981-893a-4fcefdb6d315.log /CON=we5lQtZVd+9xxhRdlN1OzQ0/NbnnXqf0wDq+8bozx9IJ0N1iKovnmZ4ykLU5nvZHGoLYc5qJfg8WoPH3SRs5KHj4q+BkXZF04mJTOxHXMQk3FYklHz6VEdjjvmBDquH0iWZ9aiGdXijVaOYQWzQaxx2PrpzknAtu6cymLaGfqhRnJoxU3XUHfo46M1yrHSOqmbe+/Eba4tpgiUn7THbrwFQeXcMvvlE3ysnz96Hrjr26mrIXy46oOMJD9VaW0SFJOTfZCW8o0ZaiQCenjcANe1xO0R9+c5OpYadNokZKV47dqEL4vZG7EYuWKrf8mGee

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:16 PM: DiscoverBase.ConnectToService: Connected to http://ckw-t-ivcore/DiscoveryServices/DSReceive.asmx

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:16 PM: SNMPDiscover2.GetInformation2: Starting address 10.246.151.12

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:16 PM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Starting address 10.246.151.12

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:16 PM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Could ping IP address.

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:16 PM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Gettings selected mib entries.  Count = 1

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:16 PM: SNMPManager.GetNextVariable: Getting OID 1.3.6.1.6

ERROR 12/19/2017 4:04:17 PM: SNMPManager.LoopSettings: Started

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:17 PM: SNMPManager.LoopSettings: Trying to connect with Public

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:17 PM: SNMPManager.GetNextVariable: Getting OID 1.3.6.1.6

WARNING 12/19/2017 4:04:19 PM: SNMPManager.LoopSettings: Could not connect with any login

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:19 PM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Var is null A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond    at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.ReceiveFrom(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags, EndPoint& remoteEP)

at Dart.Snmp.ManagerSlave.1U(RequestMessage )

at Dart.Snmp.ManagerSlave.GetResponse(RequestMessage request, String hostNameOrAddress, Int32 port)

at ManagedPlanet.DiscoveryServices.SNMPManager.GetNextVariable(String Oid)

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:19 PM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Completed scan

WARNING 12/19/2017 4:04:19 PM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Sent data to receive service with no error

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:19 PM: SNMPDiscoverThread.GetAddressData.: Finished address 10.246.151.12

INFORMATION 12/19/2017 4:04:19 PM: SNMPDiscover2.GetInformation2: Finished address 10.246.151.12

• 5. Re: LanDesk Ivanti 2017-3 Ping sweep
                  Recursion SupportEmployee

Hi Francesco,

To use that config on that remote machine, you'll also need to go through the following:

Deploy the Data Analytics Discovery Services Remote agent to your "scanner" (the machine you want to scan behind the firewall). This is a distribution package, it'll show up under Public packages and All packages.This requires the Ivanti Endpoint Manager to already be installed. IT's basically an "add on" agent.

Once that's done, you'll see under Discovery Services > Remote Scanner > All Remote Scanners that you now have a remote scanner.

Screenshot_53.png

Now you can go into your SNMP config and add the Remote Scanner:

Screenshot_55.png

As for that log, keep in mind this is an SNMP scan. But your windows devices probably aren't running an SNMP server on them. So the snmp portion will fail. The section you should be concerned with is this:

"Could ping IP address"

"Sent data to receive service with no error"

As long as you see those, you're good. Check Data Analytics > Asset Control > Assets > All Assets to find the device that was picked up.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: LanDesk Ivanti 2017-3 Ping sweep
                    Rookie

This works!

I was looking at the devices on the All devices list, I dont know that is was added to the Asset control devices.

I have two important constraint:

1 - This type of scan show me only the IP of the device. I need at least the Hostname and, I hope, the OS type. (Such as the information reported on UDD)

2 - is there a way to import this device automatically on the All devices group?

thanks  a lot for your very helpfull support

Francesco