3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2018 6:31 AM by Julian Wigman

General chat about Config Centre and frameworks

Mark6785 Apprentice

Hi all ,

I dont have a specific problem , but i'd like to understand some concepts a little better.

What is a framework for? I was previously under the impression that the framework was "the engine" - the core program that ran the whole show.

I've discovered though that I can turn off the framework on one of our test instances ,and webaccess still works.

Obviously you cant load console as that needs a framework to connect to.

Its as if Bridge / web / frame & console are just different ways of accessing the system - not the system itself

Also our Live instance (that i've just inherited from previous admin) has 4 frameworks across 2 servers - is that normal?

The only reason i can think of to have more than one is if you need 2 BridgeITs with different logon policys

Is the actual "Servicedesk" comprised of the services that are running?

ServiceDesk Background Service

ServiceDesk CI Linking Service

ServiceDesk Configuration Manager

etc etc

If logfiles go under programdata\landesk\servicedesk\<framework name>\logfiles\ - where do they go when you have 4 frameworks?

If anyone could help me get the , er , topology of the Servicedesk system straight that'd be much appreciated.

-mark

• 1. Re: General chat about Config Centre and frameworks
          Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

Console and BridgeIT (Workspaces) Access methods BOTH use the framework application which as you’ve noted is the main business logic engine. All of the services also use a framework; the framework they use must be setup for EXPLICIT login authentication.

WebAccess, and this is historical to improve performance back in the day, has the framework compiled into it so it doesn't also need a seperate framework as Console and BridgeIT) do.

Both framework and WebDesk are Web Applications and you can have multiples of these for differing authentication methods (explicit, integrated, token etc). Each framework can use same or different app pool and good practice is to have multiple app pools to improve performance.

As for the logfiles you’ve already noted where they go and they go into subfolders that match the application framework names you setup so they are easy to find.

Finally, most implementations have an APP server and one or more WEB servers; each will typically have 1 framework setup and the web server additionally a BridgeIT and/or WebAccess as well.  The way I like to explain this is APP = batch traffic, WEB = interactive (user) traffic. Typically the logon policy for the WEB server is integrated login and on the APP server it is explicit (remember what I said earlier re the services). People then have extra frameworks for other authentication methods.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd

• 2. Re: General chat about Config Centre and frameworks
            Mark6785 Apprentice

Thanks Julian ,

That makes it much clearer. I guess the "main" framework is the one(s) the services are logging into.

I will see if are servers are still divided into app/web, batch/user or if that's got lost as they have been messed around with!

thanks,

-mark

• 3. Re: General chat about Config Centre and frameworks
              Julian Wigman ITSMMVPGroup

The Services should be logging in using any "framework" that is setup for Explicit authentication and you can check against each service (when stopped) via ConfigurationCenter to see which framework it is mapped too.

Julian

MarXtar Ltd