10 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2018 12:24 PM by Peteski

How can I edit column values in the dashboard

Frankie0323 Rookie

Still new to LanDesk if this is out there just point me in the right direction. How can I edit column values in the dashboard? LanDesk Management Suite 2016 ver. 10.1.0.168

For example the status of a computer wether it's a loaner, in service, etc or it's retirement date? I've looked online and haven't been able to find anything remotely close detailing how to add custom data in those fields that seem would be editable with user input.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

So one point - if you're on version 10.1.0.168 - you MAY want to look at patching things up -- that should be EPM 2016 "vanilla release". You may want to download the 2016.3 update (from product downloads) at the very least // check out its new updates & features here -- LANDESK Management Suite 2016.3 Release Information .

That aside - column sets are very simple to control. There's 2 basic ways to do so...

<Click on the pictures for the full resolution version.>

Option 1 - for "regular - ALL devices"  type inventory.

1. Begin by opening the Column Configuration tool.
          2. You can either create a "public" column set (assuming you're the admin) for "everyone to use" or one for just yourself. Let's begin with just one for you yourself. Left-click on "My Column Sets" and then right-click on the right half section. There, chose "New Column Set"...
          3. You will now see a screen like the below. Really this is a case of "select and use the 'add to columns'-button  (for what ever attributes you want). This reflects the inventory tree of your devices, so if you know what you want to add, you'll know where the values are.

Do note that you *CAN* add attributes which MAY NOT have any values in them for some/all devices. So - for instance - there's nothing stopping me to drag in a column about Unix Mount points into a column set and using that on Windows devices. This only results in having "empty" (NULL value) fields, as those devices won't have that kind of data.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

Pay *CAREFUL* attention to what data columns you select!

Be mindful of 1:1 (one-to-one -- i.e. "Zero or one and only 1 entry for a device") versus 1:* (one-to-many -- i.e. "1 or more entries per device") data. Without filters, column sets will display *EVERYTHING* that's applicable.

One of the "easiest" 1:* columns to unintentionally include is for instance "Software - Package - Name" ... which translates into "show me *EVERY* software package for EVERY device" ...

4. So let's add a few columns ... (sticking to 1:1 data to get your feet wet). I'm going to (intentionally) do something bad here to highlight it in a second...
          5. Notice that I've got 2 types of "Model" ... which would be potential for some confusion. So let's go and rename the default ALIAS values to something more distinct / sensible...
          6. Now go ahead and save the column set after giving it a sensible name.
          7. Finally, you just need to drag the query to where you want to use it ... so in my case, I'm hauling it on to "My Devices".
            Here an example screenshot of this before ...

And now after dragging & dropping the column set...
          8. And there you have it ... simple as that.

Option 2 A - Columns For queries

Queries are slightly different - when you create a query, you can automatically chose which columns you want to display. See here:

Option 2 B - Temporarily overriding queries' column sets:

Now - you *CAN* drag a column set onto an existing query to TEMPORARILY override what columns are displayed. (You just need to refresh / re-run the query to have it return to its normal column display).

This can be a useful trick if you just need to see certain data for a given device set temporarily. Or you're building your query still, and are deciding / want to work on an easily modifiable way to change what columns are displayed (column sets are presently easier to re-arrange than query columns).

That's about everything covered, I believe .

• 2. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard
            Frankie0323 Rookie

Thanks for the detailed answer it will come in handy with a project I have to get rid of our older machines. I still don't have the answer I need, I guess I didn't add enough information or explained it wrong. I added a picture to help clarify a bit, I would like to edit the areas the are highlighted in yellow not the column but the information contained in that column. As the information held seems to me as something that should be entered manually how do I add that information, edit, or do I need to create a script do do this?

Capture[2].png

• 3. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard

So - data should never really be populated "by hand" ... it should either come in as inventory / custom data - or be populated by data analytics' rules (calculations, normalisations and so on).

What are the full inventory paths for your 2 data points? Based on what they are, I can give you a few options perhaps.

• 4. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard
                Frankie0323 Rookie

When you say path, do you mean where the information is pulled from?

• 5. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard

Yes.

I.e. "COMPUTER - BIOS - Serial Number" ... that's what I mean with inventory path.

That way I can look at the specific values you're talking about & figure out what they are & ponder on how to best get that populated .

• 6. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard
                    Frankie0323 Rookie

Thanks for all the help and taking time out of your day. Greatly appreciate it.

The paths are:

Computer-Status

Computer-MachineRetireDate

Couldn't find the path for DeployDate, I'll keep looking. I know how to populate the information from a query. I just want to be able to update the information as the status of a machine changes. If for example we take a old machine and turn it into a loaner, I want the ability to change the status from In Service to Loaner...

Thanks again.

• 7. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard

So - "MachineRetireDate" isn't a standard field. Is that a custom inventory field you have created yourself (Custom data fields can be added pretty easily)? This may help in locating it (it should be in the UNMODELLEDDATA table if it's "just" new custom data you've added) -- How to find and query Custom Data via SQL .

So - the STATUS data column is in the COMPUTER table (COMPUTER.STATUS). That one should be pretty easy to update.

You can do so "from the device", either via regular inventory, and/or little tricks like using custom data being sent via miniscans, such as documented here -- About command line switches to launch a miniscan and send additional data (Older article with the same basic information is here - How to send Custom Data with a Miniscan  - for more examples, except that you now do it via LDISCN32 with the "/mini" switch, rather than a dedicated binary that doesn't exist anymore) .

You can include those things as part of a Provisioning command, for instance (as your device goes through the Provisioning process, you can update the status as needed).

Also - if you're looking to automate things, you may want to check out the following for educational purposes -- Getting Started with the MBSDK (Example Scripts Included) . You could use the "SetMachineData" method for instance (which does use the BNF, which I explain in the above article).

Look to automate such things ... you don't want to do such things manually. It ends up eating up a LOT of your time, as things scale up.

Automate things once, and it's an investment of time & learning up-front, but then just may need the occasional bump when you want to change / add additional things, other than that, no effort .

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard
                        Peteski Apprentice

Phoffman, I wanted to reopen this thread to ask a slightly different question for the above you answered well: Is it possible to rearrange the columns as they appear left to right in the results? Not sorting the results by values but literally just moving columns left or right. I have found a way to do this yet.

In SQL its easy to change: "Select Devicename, DeviceID, OS  Name, OS Version" to "Select Devicename, OS  Name, OS Version, DeviceID" to move the DeviceID column all the way to the right. But in the query, I have to remove the column and add it back and then it always appears at the end.

Thanks

Pete

• 9. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard

"Yes and no".

You DO have to remove / re-add it if you use a QUERY (older interface).

You CAN move columns "left & right" (or "up & down" so to speak), when configured a CUSTOM COLUMN SET, see here:

<I believe "Display Name" may be the only one hardcoded to be in the first element>

You CAN "drag & drop" a custom column set over a resolved query, and the query will (temporarily) adopt THAT column set (including order), until you re-run the query. It's a good, simple way to test out various options/candidates for more permanent things to go into your queries.

Queries will (I would expect) at some point get these quality of life improvements added too, but it's the usual issue of "ROI versus dev time" ... column set options give you plenty of possibility, and as such the "bang" per "dev buck" so to speak would be rather small in comparison to other, meatier things.

Hope that helps / makes sense?

• 10. Re: How can I edit column values in the dashboard
                            Peteski Apprentice

Yes. Thanks. I guess the answer is "no" in the sense of the query editor window itself. As you said, QOL improvements are being bugfixes etc.

Thanks for the clarification!