3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2009 8:29 AM by Aeropars

Computers in cross domain get Advance Agent but not the full agent

Rookie

Hi Guys,

We've recently had LANDesk installed for inventory of our machines.

We have 2 domains which are not int he same AD forest but are trusted with an external trust. OUr landesk core sits in domain 'A'.

I have pushed out Advance Agents from the Unmanaged Device Discovery tool with no problems however we want to deploy the agent using Active Directory.

I have set up a test OU and placed a machine account into this OU and assigned the 1mb MSI using a group policy object to this OU only. Upon reboot of the machine I can see it says the Advance agent is being installed and when I log in I can see the Landesk Advance Agent service has installed and is started. The problem is that the main agent is not being pulled down or installed by the mini agent. The agent I have pushed out is the agent that gets installed by default during the setup of LANDesk.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

• 1. Re: Computers in cross domain get Advance Agent but not the full agent
          Rookie

I forgot to add that the machine i am having problem with is corss domain and the location of the agent installs are on the LANDesk server.

• 2. Re: Computers in cross domain get Advance Agent but not the full agent
            SupportEmployee

Hey Aeropars, you will want to invesitage this as being a rights or permissions issue by manually copying your advanceagent.msi file to the machine. Leave the actual executable on the core server. Then log in to the client machine and launch the msi manually, it should attempt to pull down the exe into landesk\ldclient\sdmcache\.

If the exe file does not copy at all then look into windows\temp for the advanceagent.log which should help figure out what went wrong.

If the exe file does copy but doesnt do anything, then you can look at the advanceagent.log as defined above, however the best step here would be to use procmon.exe from technet to see if you are getting any type of access denied statuses when launching the executable. Also make sure the .exe file if copied is 20 MB or more, if it isnt rebuild your advance agent on the core console.

If the exe is copied and launches briefly but doesnt succeed in installing the agent then I suggest cleaning off any existing agent on the machine using \\core\ldmain\uninstallwinclient.exe /forceclean

(This will reboot the machine if you do not define a /noreboot, a reboot is recomended however)

Hope this helps

-Brandon

• 3. Re: Computers in cross domain get Advance Agent but not the full agent
              Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I beleive this was an issue but I'm not sure if this is the only issue we are having as the deployment using active directory is taking a lot longer than I anticipated. Singular tests confirm it working to some degree but now my entire companies AD is using it, I expected there to be a bigger uptake in the client showing up in the Management Consol.