12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2009 2:38 PM by jrensink78

Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache

Apprentice

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the download speed of EXEs and MSIs to the SDMCACHE folder. I'm trying to isolate the issue or see if anyone has had this problem. I'm installing some software but when I push the exe's and msi's out sometimes the download of the exe/msi take under a minute sometime it only pulls the exe/msi at a rate of 3kb/sec which causes the download to take 30minutes. It's very sporadic. In your opinion do you think this is a network issue or is there some configuring in landesk that I can do? For reference, my delivery method is bandwidth aware - silent no reboot and delivery type is policy-supported push. Let me know your opinions. Thank you.

• 1. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
          egarlepp Employee

Well, there are a few quick things to review here to start-

• When doing a deployment, the agent looks at its local cache first, then it looks on the local subnet, then pulls from the core or package point.  I would insure that it is pulling locally from its subnet when it is downloading that fast.
          • If you are using distribution points or DFS, i would look at them to see if any issues or network issues can be seen.
          • I would do a tracert to see the hops and time it takes to get to certain distribution points.
          • Take a look at the version of the agent, if you are running v8.8 SP2a, then there are a ton of updates related to SWD, one resolves issues with slow downloads.
          • I would also take a look at the log files for the systems and the core to see if you can see anything different.  Here is a link to find the log files for software as well as other LD stuff - http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-5130

Hope this helps

• 2. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
            egarlepp Employee

One other thing i would check is to remove the bandwidth aware to see if they all download the same.  The bandwidth aware looks to be doing its job and that coudl be causing the difference in times.  You can also up the percentage of throttling to 50%, to see if that helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
              Apprentice

We are running 8.8 Sp2. In regards to the link you sent me for updates, which specific update will fix the speed of the download?

The server that houses the package is in house. I did the tracert and it only did 1 hop. I will try the update that fixes the speed of the download if you can specify which.

• 4. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
                egarlepp Employee

If possible, upgrading to SP3 will include all updates and is generally the way to go.  If that is not possible, then patches 2 and 3 from the list are the ones that are involved in the process.

Hope that helps

• 5. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
                  egarlepp Employee

To try and narrow it down i would also do from what i mention in the previous thread, it may help -

"One other thing i would check is to remove the bandwidth aware to see if they all download the same.  The bandwidth aware looks to be doing its job and that could be causing the difference in times.  You can also up the percentage of throttling to 50%, to see if that helps."

• 6. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
                    zman Master

Eric brings up some good points. What is your delivery method - specifics. See this post to see how to determine where the package is being downloaded from http://community.landesk.com/support/message/24453#24453

• 7. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
                      egarlepp Employee

Good catch dave.  I forgot about that all together.   Dave's point of using xtrace in the thread link should give you some more detail.

• 8. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
                        cknott SupportEmployee

What you are seeing is pretty normal for LANDesk if you are using the bandwidth options in the delivery method.

Go into the delivery method, uncheck all of the checking, bandwidth throttling, and set the delay between packets to 0.  If you arent on SP3 then you need to apply the patches mentioned in the other posts on this thread.

LANDesk will never be as fast as a windows copy.  Thats just the way it is.  But you should be able to get some decent speed if you uncheck all of the throttling options.

• 9. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
                          Apprentice

Thank you everyone for your help. I think everyone contributions have helped solve this issue.

Chad - I tried specifically what you told me and it worked.

• 10. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
                            cknott SupportEmployee

Cool, glad to hear it.  Also, its great to see our customers using the LANDesk Community.  Keep it up!

• 11. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
                              Apprentice

Well apparently I spoke too soon. It appears that even with these settings I'm having trouble. I'm not sure if it's only happening when I run them as provisioning tasks or not.

• 12. Re: Download Speed of MSI/EXE to sdmcache
                                Rookie

I see the same behavior with my package distributions.

The agents are pulling directly from a server that is on the local LAN via an HTTP share.  Sometimes it downloads files really fast.  Sometimes it's relatively slow (200-300Kbps).  So on 400MB+ packages, it can take 20+ minutes to download the files.  I'm not using Dynamic Bandwidth throttling and the download timing is set to 0 for delay between packets on the delivery method.  So it should just go as fast as it can.  I'm also still in a pilot phase, so the server definitely isn't getting utilized much at all outside of my testing.

I even watched one download process where it downloaded an individual file of about 100MB in about 15 seconds.  then as it downloaded a few more files, it slowed way down.  So it can change on a file by file basis on a given distribution.  Also, the transfer rate seems to stay pretty steady during a given file download.  On big files, I don't see much variation of speed while it downloads (even though previous/subsequent files could be drastically different).

We're running 8.8sp2.  Not sure what I can do different, so I'm crossing my fingers that sp3 will magically help things out.