8 Replies Latest reply on May 28, 2009 1:03 PM by egarlepp

Macs not going into correct scope

Apprentice

Hello,

Hope this makes sense.

I have several Macs that are joined to an Active Directory domain however it does not seem that they're getting put into the correct scope in LANDesk as I can only see these Macs if I am part of the Default All Scopes Group.

The LANDesk Server is running 8.8 SP2A.  The Mac Agent is 8.80.0.268.  The Macs are all runing OS X 10.5.6.

Based on where they are within Active Directory I should be able to see them as part of another scope I have setup but that doesnt seem to be working.  For example I have a scope called "Building 1" which the Macs are a part of in AD but they wont show up.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Macs not going into correct scope
          egarlepp Employee

I would try to upgrade the MAC agent to the latest agent - http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-3495

There has been many updates since 2a, i believe there was some issues with inventory in one of the updates since then.  Secondly, when scoping stuff it may be good to include the IP address range of a site so that you can be certain that it is scoped properly.  I have seen times where the LDAP info for whatever reason doesn't get pulled in.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Macs not going into correct scope
            Apprentice

Thanks for the information.

I have updated to 8.80.0.289 on the Mac Agent however that did not fix the issue.  Like mentioned, I have setup additional scopes based on IP ranges however certain buildings are administered by different support groups and unfortunately these IP ranges will overlap which is why i would like to list the scopes by OUs in AD rather than IP range.

Will do a bit more testing and see if I can have someone update the core server as I dont have admin rights to it.

• 3. Re: Macs not going into correct scope
              egarlepp Employee

I will take a look at my environment, as i have a few thousand MACS to see if i see anything that is a pattern for 10.5.6.  I will let you know.

• 4. Re: Macs not going into correct scope
                SupportEmployee

When the inventory scanner runs (on your mac agent) if a domain user isn't logged into the machine then the inventory scanner cannot collect LDAP information so your scope might be working but machines are missing the information that you scoped.

• 5. Re: Macs not going into correct scope
                  Apprentice

I am not sure if this is the case (at least on the 3 current machines I am testing).  I am going to try to test it on a few more PCs but I know for sure 3 of the Macs I am testing are part of Active Directory and using their AD credentials to login.

If I right click on Inventory under the Management Console, I can clearly see the LDAP location and the primary login user.  On the test machine in my office I am logging in using my AD credentials and the Mac itself is located within an OU in the scope.

I attached a screenshot.

If i look in that scope, I can't see the Macs at all however I can see them fine if I use I search the scope I setup that goes by subnet.

• 6. Re: Macs not going into correct scope
                    egarlepp Employee

So the systems have the LDAP information in the inventory, but it doesn't show in the query when you search for it?  If that is the case, i read the question wrong.

Could you post the query that you are using, then?

• 7. Re: Macs not going into correct scope
                      SupportEmployee

yeah if your data is there then I would verify your query works.

• 8. Re: Macs not going into correct scope
                        egarlepp Employee

To include a LDAP location in a query, here is how i generate the info.

1. I open up Directory manager
                        2. Go to the OU above or exactly where you want to scope
                        3. Right click on OU, go to properties
                        4. In the LDAP path, i copy out the path after the name of my domain
                            1. Example it would look like  - OU=BSL,OU=NYC,DC=TEST,DC=DOMAIN,DC=com
                            2. Substitute the info for each of the OU and DC areas.
                            3. You can also copy out further down the OU areas if you want to further restrict it.
                        5. In the query i do either a 'AND' or 'OR' and it is important to use the LIKE operator as if you use the '=' it will not find anything.
                        6. Then include the IP range info as well again with either 'AND' or 'OR'

Hope that helps..