1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 7:37 AM by JoeDrwiega

How to deploy adobe reader

MNABET Rookie

Hello,

We would like to deploy Adobe reader in MSI with MSP but how can i do that with Software Distribution ?

Adobe reader want a command like that :

msiexec /I "AcrobRead.msi" /Update "Acrobatreader2018xxxxxx.msp"

But in Ivanti i have something like that :

I try to add /Update with msp but that not working (In Extra files tab i added all files)

Regards

• 1. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
          JoeDrwiega SupportEmployee

In the installation options you can add or change the additional switches line in the bottom line BUT once you do DON'T check anymore boxes and it will use your switches. this is what I use for MSP installs: msiexec /p "%ADDFULLPATHOFLDSDMCACHE%XXXXXXXXX.msp" /qn /log "C:\Windows\Temp\XXXXX.log"

• 2. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
            MNABET Rookie

There is no variable for LDSDMCACHE ?

I tried and it work works. Adobe reader need ACCEPT_EULA=YES at the end of the command but landesk automatically add /i "packagenale.msi" at the end.

we cannot force text at the end after /i ?

• 3. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
              JoeDrwiega SupportEmployee

Try some things like this in the switch line:

/i /norestart /log "C:\Windows\Temp\XXXXX.log" PATCH="%LD_CLIENT_DIR%\sdmcache\ldlogon\%adobereaderpath%\AdobereaderXXXX.msp" /qn

OR something like this:

/i /p AdobereaderXXXX.msp /norestart /passive

You don't need to add the msi because you have it as the file for the package.

• 4. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
                MNABET Rookie

With %LD_CLIENT_DIR% thats not working. With only the package name, thats not working too.

Only with full path working

• 5. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
                  MNABET Rookie

Hello, this answer was not really good now.

I have somes 32 bits computers and write in hard the path is not good :/

There is no variable for that ?

• 6. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
                    Peteski Apprentice

Did you download and read the Adobe Customization Wizard DC from Adobe? It's really not that hard to use and it generates custom setup ini files for you to use with the setup.exe rather than work with the MSI more directly.

What we deploy is pretty simple from the Ivanti EPM side. Just call setup.exe as a Windows Executable Software Package. Some additional files are needed though. In the Software Package Executable properties window, select the setup.exe as the primary file and then go to the additional files section and add whatever else was created/modified/needed based on what the Adobe Customization Wizard DC created. For me this is currently abcpy.ini, acroread.msi, adobe_reader_DC.mst, data1.cab, a patch file called AcroRdrdc.msp and setup.ini.

The setup.ini tells the setup what patch and transforms to use and does a great job during the install.

I'd say look into it.

Good luck.

• 7. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
                      MNABET Rookie

I never try with Adobe Custom Wizard but i have another software who need the path of files and not give custom wizard.

Pdfcreator, java, and some internals apps. A variable for sdmcache can be great. And variable of current folder can be better

• 8. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
                        phoffmann SupportEmployee

You can always ADD a local environment variable for SDMCACHE. It's not like that can't be scriptet.

We have the following environment variables for WIndows:

... it'd not take long to write up a PowerShell script that checks whether you're running a 32-bit or 64-bit OS (and/or just "locates" SDMCACHE") and creates a new SYSTEM environment variable for it.

Once you've got that done, you can do your generic command-line call easy enough.

• 9. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
                          MNABET Rookie

Yes it's not hard to do but if there is any variable without making new GPO with scripts (Our computers is very very slow logon with hundred of GPO and scripts).

If i have no other solutions i will do that but i believed Landesk add automaticaly SDMCACHE path

• 10. Re: How to deploy adobe reader

So "technically" we do have a reference to the LDCLIENT directory, but that's something that can only easily be accessed via SCHEDULED SCRIPTS (that's the %LDMS_CLIENT_DIR% reference mentioned above). But that's "old tech" that may not be super desirable in this case for various reasons.

Since the purpose here is to "go fast", the easiest solution may be to use the "LDMS_LOCAL_DIR" variable as a starting point, and crimping / editing that to use your location for the SDMCACHE via script which can then call your command-line as desired. That'd be the easiest / fastest solution here.

That's at least something that won't take a lot of effort & will allow you to start working "right now" with what you have?

• 11. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
                              MNABET Rookie

Maybe the variable LDMS_LOCAL_DIR is used for specific thing inside Landesk.

I will let this variable clean for not have strange issue after ^^

I will check for making 2 packages one for 32 and one for 64 bits or use powershell script for create new environment path.

I just hope landesk will be never moved from C:\progfilesx(86) to progfiles on 64bits computers ^^

• 12. Re: How to deploy adobe reader

I wasn't talking about you CHANGING the local environent variable.

A simple script which:

• Reads out the local environment variable
                                • Does a "if {string} contains pattern like "Program Files (x86)" THEN ... thing A ... ELSE ... thing B" ... is what I was talking about.

That way you've got your options covered, and it should be less than 10 lines of script (including your 1 line to execute your installer if needed).

You may - in fact - want to read this here -- About Batch File Distribution Packages -- as an example (this is older and using BAT-files, but still holds a lot of useful lessons).

No need to overcomplicate things .

• 13. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
                                  MNABET Rookie

Script can be the answer yes. It can be the best way.

Thanks for your help and taking time to explain me.

• 14. Re: How to deploy adobe reader
                                    Peteski Apprentice

Generally speaking, I tend to use scripts for most of my software packages. It just makes it easier to add a little logic to make sure everything works as intended.

Java in particular is another painful software package to manage. I ended up creating a basic cmd file that copies a java install.cfg file to c:\windows\temp on client then the cmd calls the installer exe from a UNC path and references the .cfg file in c:\windows\temp. I rename each new release of the java installer to the same name in the cmd so I don't even have to reset the package hash when updating the exe because the cmd is untouched.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    1 2 Previous Next