4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2018 3:54 PM by gtetterton

How do I implement OrgUnit specific priority/severity

gtetterton Rookie

By default we use priority values from 0 -7 however we have clients that want to use their own terminology for example customer A wants to use the following;

Critical = 1

Major = 2

Minor = 3

Question = 4

I tried to implement this as a new field in incident called cusotmer_spcific_priority with a picklist based on the following table implemented in a separate object under the picklist and attached it to the new field in Incident.

I added this Constraint Customer = $(CurrentUserOrganizationUnitName()) to the picklst. In the picklist CustomerPriority is the display field and the value and sort fields are Priority.

I added a rule that when customer_specific_priority changes update the actual priority field.

The customer_specific_priority is only displayed it the customer uses a customer specific priority.

CustomerCustomerPriority
      Priority
      ACritical1
      AMajor2
      AMinor3
      AQuery4
      BFatal1
      BCritical2
      BMajor3
      BMinor

BQuery5

This works fine for the user to log the ticket however the problem occurs when the standard priority is modified.

I tried to create a rule to sync the priority fields but I cannot update the customer priority field because i only have the numeric priority value and it does not meet pass the picklist.

The question is can i update the underlying priority field and go around the picklist?

If this is not possible then does anyone have another idea how to implement this type of picklist.

I am using HEAT Service Management - Premise 2015.2.2

• 1. Re: How do I implement OrgUnit specific priority/severity
          AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

Hi George

If I understand this right on the customer priority picklist you can change the value field from the CustomerPriority field to the Priority field.  This way the customer priority is displayed as a text value ot the user but in the DB it stores a value and therefore you can update from the priority field.

Let me know if I am not on the right lines and I will try to help.

• 2. Re: How do I implement OrgUnit specific priority/severity
            gtetterton Rookie

Alasdair,

Thanks for your response.

Maybe a little more details might help here.

Below is my Pick-list definition. My value field is already Priority, The problem here is when I try to set the value of the custom field called MAV_Customer_Priority using a triggered action business rule on the OOTB Priority field (numeric 0 - 7 ) it fails the pick-list because 3 for example is not a value in the Display field (which for customer A is Minor).

I have added some screen captures below to hopefully make the clearer.

• 3. Re: How do I implement OrgUnit specific priority/severity
              AlasdairRobertson ITSMMVPGroup

I have a couple of options:

• I know the CurrentUserOrganizationalUnitName() function works in a trigger but is it passing to the pick list...you could test by removing the constrain on the pick list and see if that is the issue.
              • Could you use an editing rule instead that on update of Priority then look up the Customer priority?  Some thing like $(if S([OrganizationalUnit#_lncidentAssocOrganizationalUnit2]MAV UseCustomerSpecificPriority then Priority else MAV_Customer_Priority)  The pick list will pick up the constrain as it is on the form.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How do I implement OrgUnit specific priority/severity
                gtetterton Rookie

Alasdair,

Thanks for the suggestions which got me to thinking.

I have solved the problem by adding an "OR" constraint to my picklist. This appears to work. for the SelfService login it uses the first constraint because it returns true and assuming they are using normal shortcut logic it returns there. For the Employee (Service Desk Analyst) the first constraint returns false and the second looks at the previous picklist where we set the customer based on the profile user.

Using my binary flag in the Org unit called MAV_UseCustomerSpecificPriority, If the Customer prefers to use the custom Priority I will hide the Priority field and show the MAV_Customer_Priorty field. This way engineers cannot change the Priority field directly. they will change the Customer Priority field which has a rule to update the Priority field from the Customer Priority field.